Chapter 36 - Bad News

"Do you know how much you two make me feel like I'm on a roller coaster ride? Just a few seconds ago I was waaaay up there. And then all of a sudden, you've decided to push my cart without any warning and without making sure I had my safety harness on. What the actual f..udggge was that about Dei?" Matt said, suddenly up from his seat.

"Matt, it's okay," RJ said.

Matt sighed and fanned his face with his hands. "I don't mean to be upset but this is the kind of thing we should be discussing first. This has to be planned properly. I thought you didn't want to make an official statement?" He asked, looking at Dei.

"I didn't. It was a spur of the moment thing," she answered, her voice soft.

"And that spur of the moment thing could cost us this whole project. If HQ finds out about this, they could pull the whole thing out. They were rooting for the excitement and the mystery, now that's gone," Matt said pressing his temples with both hands.

"It's really no big deal, Matt," RJ said, laughing.

"No big deal? Well let me tell you what the deal is. Once HQ pulls this project out, you both can say goodbye to the penthouse," Matt said, his expression grim. "And then you can start saying goodbye to each other too, because if you must know, RJ, before that balloon incident and before the whole project was conceptualized, the HQ had actually been planning to fly you back to NY. You're going home."

"What? Why didn't you tell me before?" RJ asked, running his fingers through his hair.

"I thought they were no longer going to do that. What with the reception your love team was getting and how they were so excited about how things were panning out." Matt explained. "I just found out today that they are still planning to push it through as soon as the experiment is over," he added.

"I'm sorry," Dei said, close to tears and RJ reached out and pulled her close to his chest.

"Can we still do something about this?" RJ asked.

"I'm not sure. We'd have to think of something, or just hope that HQ doesn't pull the plug out." Matt said, plopping himself to one of the chairs.