Chapter Nineteen - Going To Be Alright

Glen found that he didn't want to open his eyes. He was scared, petrified that he had failed. He could hear a voice echoing through his mind, telling him that instead of bringing the Seven Children home he had instead taken them miles away and placed their lives in more danger. He could feel the grip of Holly's hand in one hand and Kirsty's in the other.

'I think you did it.' Glen's eyes snapped open to darkness.  Fear crawled over his body. Reaching out, he flicked the light switch on and relief washed over him. He had done it. Glen had actually done it. He had saved them, the Seven Children, for real. 

 Glen twisted around and saw that everything in his bedroom was the same as he had left it, or rather, who the men who had took him left it. He stepped over the fallen bookcase and turned to the television which after all of this time was still on. The words "Lord Baker has been defeated" continued to echo from the speakers and Glen couldn't help but laugh, not anymore! He turned towards the only power socket in the room and flicked the power switch off, if only his mum saw him now saving electricity!

'Where's Alex?' whispered a small asian boy in the corner of his bedroom.  He was Oliver, Glen realised.  

Glen turned away from the boy and threw himself down the attic ladder.  He couldn't admit the truth.  The fact that Alex was ... it was unbearable.  Glen ran down the stairs and took two steps at a time feeling fear, anger and guilt fused together stabbing his heart. 

'Mum!' he called out and landed on the ground floor with a huge jump. Glen ran to the kitchen but skidded in his tracks at the sight of an extremely dirty and empty kitchen, backing away, Glen instead turned towards the lounge room and found it empty.

He spun round and saw the other Seven Children facing him speechless.

'She's not here,' he quietly spoke, not quite sure what to do.

'What about your Aunt?' suggested Neo, stepping forward. 'I thought she lived near you.'

Spinning around and leaving the others to follow, Glen ran out of his house and down the road. His Aunt Susan, of course! She'll know where his mum was. 

Glen sprinted down the road and halted in tracks moments later at the sight of tons of SUV's parked outside Alex's house.  Glen felt his heart shatter in a million pieces.  How could Marco have found them so fast?

'Wait,' Oliver whispered, 'they're not Marco's.  They belong to Richard.'  

Alex's front door opened and his mother appeared.  Her hair was a mess, the bags under her eyes were huge and she looked tired.  At the sight of Glen standing there Linda's broke down in tears and ran forward.  Glen ran forward too and within seconds they were embracing.  Linda was sobbing uncontrollably.  

'I'm so sorry,' she sobbed into his ear.

'It's okay,' he heard himself cry back. Everything was going to be alright, he was safe now, back home with the security and comfort he had longed for, but Alex ... the tears ran fast and he found himself crying harder, unable to control himself. He felt his mother rub his back, comforting him, but she had no idea. So he tightened his hold around her and sobbed harder.

'Glen,' he heard his mother say, 'everything is going to be alright now.' Glen shook his head, he couldn't keep it inside him any longer.  He had to tell.

'Alex,' he mumbled, 'she's gone.'  Linda pulled her son off her and looked at him confused.

'What do you mean?' she asked.  

'She's dead.  Alex is dead.' he cried.  Oliver behind them stormed forward.

'No!' he cried out.  He shook his head and stamped his foot.  'No!'  Glen turned round to the boy and looked at the other children too.

'It's true,' he whispered.  He turned back to his mum.  'Dad saved me mum.  He works for Marco.  But he saved me.  He was the one who told me.'  Linda's hands immediately went to her pocket and she fumbled until she withdrew her mobile.  She unlocked it then scrolled through her contacts until she came to Alex's name.  She pressed dial.

'Mum,' begged Glen.  Linda turned the phone to loudspeaker and everybody listened to the phone ring.  It rang once, then twice, then-

'Hello?' answered Alex.

'Alex?' exclaimed Glen.  He was flabbergasted.  

'Glen is that you?'

'You're alive?  What?  Where are you?' responded Glen.

'I don't understand.  Where are you?'  Susan interrupted-

'Alex, you and your father need to come back right now.  Glen and all the other Seven Children are here right beside me.  They've managed to escape.'

*****

This is getting exciting!!  I'm so excited, are you?