Sequel

It has been around about 3 months since Rachael and her boyfriend had moved in. Since then,  we had adopted two cats, both tortoiseshell, but one long-haired and the other short-haired. Over the past month, I started to notice that the vase on the window sill was always left upturned just after we woke up. At first, I suspected that it was just the cats, they always knocked things over in the middle of the night. But when the cats went away for a weekend, my theory was proven wrong when I awoke to water spilling over the edge of the wall and collecting at the bottom in a small puddle. 

'Hey Georgie?' I called. I knew she was home because she always left her blanket draped over the settee when she got home from work. 'Yeah?' I heard her footsteps echoing down the hall. I turned to the door to see my very tired girlfriend, leaning against the door frame and yawning. 'Have you ever noticed this before?' Her eyebrows creased and a look of realisation hit her. 'What, the vase falling over? I thought it was the cats?' She wasn't paying much attention until I snapped her out of her gaze. 'The cats aren't here, they're at your friend's for the weekend, remember?' She frowned and looked back at the vase. 'Then why is it knocked over?' I shrugged and stood up. 'I'm just going to get some kitchen roll,' I explained, kissing her cheek on the way. 

Once I got the kitchen roll, I turned around and saw Rachael, leaning on the side with a glass of water with a pill. 'Another hangover?' I asked. She just nodded and turned away, rubbing her temples. 'Hey,' I started 'do you have anything to do with the vase on the window sill in the living room?' She looked up, as if trying to remember. Just as I was about to tel her to leave it, she speaks. 'Yeah, actually, I have.' she agrees and nods to herself. I raised my eyebrows. 'Are you the one turning the pots over then?' She smiled and nodded her head. 'Why?' I asked trying to sound friendly, but more of one of those 'what kinks are you into?' type voice. 'It gives me a sense of peace.' I was so confused. 'Is that all? Just because you feel "peace"?' Once again, she scratched her nose and looked deep in thought. It wasn't that difficult to think about what on Earth you found fun about turning vases upside down. 'Well, I suppose she told me to do it.' she shrugged, pointing to behind me. 

When I looked over my shoulder, I didn't see anything. 

Because no one was there.

***