Chapter 5: White Noise

I walked with Rachel through the forest after everyone else had gone home, and I thought about the powers that we all had. Oscar was able to harness fire through his cards and was able to manipulate the flames to keep from spreading wildly. Oliver somehow got incredible speed and strength, but his skin got paler and his eyes turned to a sort of emerald green. Rachel was able to traverse the shadows and use them like doorways, while I was able to harness elements with my Rubik's Cube. No one knew what Dylan could do, since he left before any of us could find out.

     "Ray!" Rachel shouted as she snapped in front of my face, making me blink rapidly and shake my head. "Jeez, you zoned out for a second," She said as I walked forward.

     "Sorry," I responded as I chuckled. "I was just thinking about what happened to us all. We all survived that machine and we all got super powers out of it. If that's not bad, I don't know what is." Rachel laughed as she sat down near the small lake and I sat beside her. I leaned back and laid against the grass as I looked up at the sky. "I didn't expect this ever in my life," I said and looked toward her. "Did you ever think this could happen to us?"

     Rachel shook her head and said, "Not even for a second." She laid beside me and as we laid there in silence, I pulled my cube out. I sat up and motioned for her to do the same.

     "Watch this," I told her and solved the blue side and watched the cube glow blue all around and I placed it against the water. We both watched as the river began to rock a bit and I lifted the cube up, creating a trail of patterned water up to the cube. It all quickly froze over and I broke off a piece that stuck out, holding it between mine and Rachel's faces. The ice melted quickly and formed into a ball in my hands and I could see Rachel's amazement leak off her.

     "That's really amazing," She said. "I wish I could do that. All I can do is walk through shadows." She sounded a bit disappointed with her statement. I lowered the ball of water and looked at her.

     "Don't say that," I told her. "Your power is beyond amazing. Who else can just walk through shadows and go wherever they want?" I asked her as she looked up at me. "Just because you can't control elements doesn't make your power any less amazing."

     "Thanks Ray," She said as she sat up. We stared at each other for a good few seconds before our heads began to inch closer. My hands lowered down as our lips almost touched, but then we were interrupted by Oscar throwing a flaming card through my ball of water. Rachel jumped and screamed, which made Oscar laugh.

     "Oh man, that was hilarious!" He cried out as he laughed, but Rachel stood up and shoved past him.

     "Not cool!" She growled as she walked home and I groaned in annoyance.

     "Nice play, Shakespeare," I told him as I stood up. "What are you doing messing up my chance to finally kiss her?" I asked Oscar and he sighed.

     "Don't worry, you'll get another shot at it, for sure," He said and pulled me towards him. "Dylan's feeling better, that's what I came to tell you. Come on," He told me and I arched a brow as I followed him. We entered Dylan's house and Oliver was already and they were cleaning up the basement of whatever wasn't touched. I walked down the stairs and looked around the basement. I was flooded by memories of what had happened and I had to close my eyes to make them disappear.

     "You alright Ray?" Oliver asked me as he moved a box out of the corner of the room. I nodded as I opened my eyes and looked around the basement. There was this huge black outline around the center of the floor that refused to come out, so Dylan had placed a desk over it and put a leather chair behind it. It looked at least a bit better than just a huge black burnt circle in the floor.