My Quarterback - 1

My Quarterback - 1  

Ellie Nichols     

My room was empty. My comforter and sheets had been ripped from my bed and placed in boxes. My closet was stripped of all my clothes and shoes. The only things that stood in my room were my bed frame and my dresser, which my father would be moving up to the attic. My father had packed my car with all my boxes and then insisted he paid for a full tank of gas before I left.   

My parents were proud of my acceptance to this university but it being a whole four hours away was a little unnerving to both my parents and me. It was the first time I wouldn't have my parents right there if I needed them. I would be able to visit on the weekends but it wouldn't be the same. 

To say they were a bit surprised when I told them I had been excepted was an understatement.

I returned home that night, the manilla envelope held tightly between my fingers. I had sat in my car, my fingers playing with the flap as I tried to force myself out of the car and into the house. A whole family of butterflies were still fluttering around in my stomach and they wouldn't leave. When I finally built up enough courage to jump out of my car, I refused to turn around.

I opened the door and could hear my parents inside the kitchen as they talked and I could smell dinner as it was almost done. With slow steps I made my way towards the kitchen where all conversation came to a stop when I walked in through the door.

"What's wrong Ellie?" My mother had asked, immediately sensing that something was wrong. I took my gaze off of the floor and looked towards my parents who were looking at me with worried gazes.

"I'll tell you during dinner." I said to them and helped my father set the table while my mother brought the dinner over. We put the food onto our plates and said grace before they both looked at me expectantly. "I have some news to tell you."

"Good or bad?" My father asks.

"That's entirely up to your reactions." I didn't have a clue how they were going to react. I knew they would both be sad that I was finally leaving the house. I handed the envelope to my mother, who was closest to me, and my father leaned closer to her while they opened the envelope. Their eyes scanned over the words but they still didn't say anything. My father looked at me and my mother's mouth opened and closed as if knowing what she wanted to say but didn't know how to say it. "You know my guidance couselor Miss Stewart," I didn't wait for them to answer the rhetorical question before continuing, "She sent in an application for me and I got accepted for next semester."

They still didn't say anything, my mother's eyes were wide and my father kept his gaze down onto his food as his fork moved around the plate. "Please say something."

"We're happy for you." My mom said finally. "We really are, but we didn't even know you wanted to go to a different school, we thought you liked it here."

"I do like it here mom, I really do. But this is my chance to make something out of myself. Miss Stewart knows the man in charge of the athletics and I've already got a spot on one of the teams, I just have to choose which one I want."

"You're really ready for this aren't you?" My father asked me to which I nodded my head. "Then we support your decision. We're really going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too."

Miss Stewart had once again, pulled a few strings and had landed me an apartment right outside of campus. I would share it with two other girls but one of them happened to be Miss Stewart's niece so she promised I would be in good hands. I hadn't met them and at first my mother was a bit concerned with me moving in with complete strangers but I trusted Miss Stewart, and after a conversation with my guidance counselor, my mother felt a bit better with the whole thing.