Chapter 1

"I really thought you'd be leading the pack, Em," I turn around sharply at the sound of the obnoxious blonde that was somehow named team captain of our varsity volleyball team. Cliché right?

            "Oh please Lauren, I was second behind you and we both know you basically sprinted that four mile run just to show off," I retorted, turning back around as I grabbed my stuff out of my locker, ready for whatever insults the oh-so-mighty team captain was going to throw at me. Somedays I swear, the only reason she's at the top of the high school hierarchy is because she scares everyone that doesn't know how to handle her, which, sadly, is pretty much everyone except me. The only reason I'm co-captain and not the captain is because I fractured my wrist the week when conditioning and tryouts for the team were. Luckily the impressive recommendations from all my club coaches got me a spot on the varsity team, and when it healed, that spot solidified into co-captain, partially because I'm the only one who's willing to argue with Lauren, partially because I have a killer overhand serve. I guess I should consider myself "lucky" that I'm this high up, but seriously what the hell? I could easily out serve and even out think Lauren, but nope here I am, talking to the prissy queen herself.

            "You're just jealous that you can't run with those legs," Lauren laughed, looking down pointedly before she sauntered out of the locker room with her bright pink Victoria's Secret bag slung over her shoulder.

            "Bitch," I muttered to myself, as I headed out the door too, stopping to give myself a quick look in the mirror. I was good looking enough, with my loosely curled brown hair, and my dark grey eyes, scattered with small flecks here and there. I wasn't fat by any means, with your basic popular girl's lackey look, tan, long legs, wearing brands like Pink, Nordstrom, and my personal favorite American Eagle. Quickly rubbing off some smeared mascara from my right eyelid, I walked out the locker room door, immediately approached by another girl on our volleyball team.

            "There's a party tonight at some junior football player's house. Are we going?" the tall, caramel haired girl beside me asked, her tone questioning and slightly nervous.

            "Sure," I replied with a shrug, not even bothering to look over at her, my answer sending her scrambling away to go tell the others. This was how it worked every single time. Not to brag or anything, but it's just another simple fact of high school life that any party we don't go to is instantly less cool, so we have to pick and choose carefully. The perks of being popular, you could say. I headed out the front doors of the school, making my way over to where my car was parked, sparkling in the mid-afternoon sun. With a push of a button, I unlocked the doors, sliding into the driver's seat and setting my stuff on the black seat next to me. Quickly I started the car, pulled out of the parking spot, and started making my way home. I turned on the radio, letting the loud music blare as I rolled my windows down. It was about five right now, and after I ate and showered and did some homework it'd probably be around six. If I was really going to go to that party tonight, I'd have to leave the house around nine thirty, so that gave me about 3 and a half hours. Perfect. Just enough time to make a pit stop at the mall first. In a lot of ways, I might not be your stereotypical sidekick, but one thing the books got right, is that I love shopping about as much as I love my Starbucks, which to say the least is a lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hey guys! hope you enjoyed the first chapter! i'm not really sure how i like it but it's the first chapter, so just trying to give you guys a taste of what it's like on a daily basis in this magical story world lol. shoutout to one of my best friends for "editing" this chapter for me. go follow her fijiwaterfall ! so i'll keep this short and if you guys have any ideas for celebrities, or just people for each of the characters from now until the end of this book to look like just comment or shoot me a message! thanks guys! :)

p.s. here are some other covers i made for this book let me know which is your favorite or if you like the one that's currently on the book

 here are some other covers i made for this book let me know which is your favorite or if you like the one that's currently on the book