Chapter six : Mission

I sigh heavily as I look into the mirror. The uniform is great, don't get me wrong, but it's not my style.

"Is there something wrong with the uniform, miss Atrox?" Jarvis queries from the speaker. I look at the floor.

"I'm afraid form-fitting isn't quite my style." I look at the the mirror again, "I'm sorry Jarvis."

"I can edit the design with your guidance." He offers, I smile before remembering he can't see me.

"That would be wonderful, thank you."

"Not a problem ma'am."

"Hey J?" I look toward the speaker on the ceiling.

"Yes?"

"Call me Vera."

"Alright, Vera." The A.I. concedes, and I leave my room quickly to head towards the armory. Natasha pops up beside me.

"The suit looks nice."

"Thanks."

"Do you really think your ready?" She looks at me carefully, concerned even.

"I do." I pause, "I need to get rid of this grave before it's buried."

"Sounds about right." She lightly smiles.

"I think we'll become good friends." I look to her, she nods and points to the weapons door we're approaching.

"The others are in here." She opens the door and I follow her in.

"What can I use?" I look around at the shelves pulled out from the walls, and ogle at all the weapons.

"Anything." Steve's voice replies from a shelf or two over. I nod to myself and grab a few pistols and some throwing knives. While they aren't exciting, they'll help keep me alive if my powers somehow fail. I allow my eyes to drift the shelves before settling my gaze on an electrified throwing knife.

"Whoa." I whisper, and sheath it on my uniform. One thing Jarvis did right on the suit: storage for weapons.

"All set?" Tony's voice calls from the entrance, and we all migrate over there. They all nod at my suit in acceptance, "Let's get going."
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

"The panelling on your suit lets it morph to the ability you choose." Tony informs me from the pilots seat as I stand by it.

"That'll be useful, thanks."

"No biggie." He shrugs, I turn around and return to my previous seat as we start to descend.

"Our mission is simple, get information, and get out. We have comms for a reason." The Captain looks at Stark accusingly, "So use them to communicate. We all know the plan, and I want this mission to be short. Get in, get out. Meet back here at 0900, if we do this right we should be back for lunch. Good luck."

"Cap." I summon him to where I'm standing as everyone pairs off into groups and disappear, "You never gave me direct orders."

"Get what you came here to get, I want to see how well you work out there. You've worked at SHIELD for 16 years?"

"I was only at SHIELD 9 years before my undercover mission, but sure, 16 sounds about right."

"You know the drill."

"Thanks, good luck out there." I climb out of the quinjet.

"You too." He disapears in the trees. I sigh as I hear yelling in the distance and lightning. Thor should really be more inconspicuous. I tune out the chattering from the comm almost immediately. I try to focus on the cuttlefish's ability to change color and texture, but I haven't fully mastered mimicking fish because I don't want to accidentally get gills, but some are easier than others. I sigh and think about a leopard's stealthiness instead. They're agile and a better choice than a cuttlefish. I stalk through the woods, occasionally taking out a HYDRA agent that gets too close or tries to shoot another Avenger. Overall, I get to the facility unnoticed.

"I'm in." I talk through the comm. I hear a chorus of disbelief.

"How'd you get up there so quickly?" I hear Clint ask while Tony tries to insult me.

"We're getting close, just keep going." Natasha replies.

I nod to myself and swiftly dash through the hallways to go into a room were they keep classified files and items from prisoners. They really should re-think their organization. I search through several compartments before reaching number 78. I take a deep breath and pull open the small storage space and grab the items I had attained while I was undercover. I hear the alarm blaring and rush over to the filing cabinets. Not much time left. Thumbing through file after file, I grab the three I need and quickly get out of the building.

"Is everyone out?" Barton asks, a flurry of answer assure him, "Aecus?"

"I'm out, almost to the quinjet." I confirm before a burst of memories make me freeze.

Fire. Burning. Pain. I daze out and stare at the scene in front of me: A 21 year old girl with brunette hair, and relentless but tired green eyes stares right back at me. A mirror image of my younger self. The girl shakes violently but remains standing as a man zaps her with a taser and demands information over and over again.

Shaking on my shoulders brings me out of it, I blink my eyes a few time before seeing Clint above me. Above? I try to walk backwards but realize I can't. I turn my head and get a mouthful of leaves. I fell down?

"Aecus, we need to get out of here now." Barton backs up as I stand and nod, gathering up my stuff again before we both set out at a full sprint.