Chapter Twelve: Two Steps Forward, Too Many Steps Backward

Quincy

"Please come again!" I said cheerfully to a customer as I handed her her change. "Have a great day!"

"You seem quite happy today," a voice said from behind me.

If I wasn't already smiling widely, I would be now. Spinning around, I came face to face with my best friend, Chloe. She didn't come in to work at all yesterday, and all morning I've been so bored without her company. I throw my arms around her, pulling her into a tight hug, because I was just that excited.

"Definitely happy today," she said, taking a step back once I released her. "What's going on with you?"

"He asked me out!" I even let out a small squeal, but I didn't care. This was so exciting, even two days later and I couldn't believe it actually happened.

Chloe's mouth dropped open in shock. "Are you saying that Spanish kid who thought he was straight asked you out?"

I nodded my head quickly. "Still not admitting he's gay, but he did admit that he likes me. So it's progress."

Chloe was about to reply when our manager walked up to us. "Quincy, you can take your break now, if you want. You've been on your feet for hours."

I smiled at her. "Thanks, Michelle." As she walked away, I turned back to my register to break out. My feet were definitely killing me.

"Wait, Q, isn't that him?"

I glared at the nickname, she should know better than to call me that, but my eyes softened as soon as I lifted my head to see Reed walking through the door. This was absolute perfect timing.

Quickly running to the back, I hung my required apron up on a hook and hurried back to the front of the cafe. Reed was standing in the middle of the floor, looking over towards the registers where Chloe was taking someone's order. He looked confused.

I walked up next to him. "Hey. What are you doing here?"

Reed was a bit startled by me, but obviously tried not to show it. "Did you just finish work?"

I shook my head. "But I do have a half hour break starting right now."

"Cool."

"Yeah. So..."

"Quincy!" I turned around suddenly to see Chloe looking over at me. "Either get in line or move out of the way!"

I smiled sheepishly as I realized a crowd of people had come in, and Reed and I were standing right in the way of everyone. Turning back to Reed, I asked, "Did you actually want to get something?"

"Yeah. I was thinking about it." He started walking towards the back of the line. "What do you want?"

"I'm fine. I don't need anything."

He looked at me questioningly, but didn't say anything as Chloe called us over to order.

"Are you going to eat anything today, Quincy?" she asked after Reed told her what he wanted. I shook my head. "When was the last time you ate, boy?"

"Umm... Yesterday. I had my leftovers from Thursday for dinner." Even the next day, that meal tasted amazing, possibly because Reed had bought it for me.

"So you haven't eaten anything today?" Reed asked me.

"No, but I'm fine, really."

He scowled, but Chloe spoke up. "That's a lie. I know you so want that turkey club."

"How did you know that?" She only just got here! I didn't even tell anyone I wanted that today. Chloe winked. That wasn't fair.

"Add that to the order," Reed said simply. Then he looked at me before I could even complain. "Don't look at me like that, you're going to eat it."