Chapter Ten

This chapter is dedicated to CaydenMoreland. Thanks for being such a great friend, and for all of your complements! I'm lucky to have you as a friend :)
I'm also lucky to have all of you. Thanks so much for all of your votes and comments on all of my Harry Potter fanfictions and other books, I really appreciate all of your support!

Draco Malfoy

As soon as she chooses him over me, my heart snaps in two. She was the last thing I had, my last hope of becoming something, anything other than what my family forces me to be. Without her, I can never find my way by myself.

She turns to me, but before she can say anything, Weasley- the boy who ruined my life -envelops her in a hug. I can't stand it. I shove my way past Potter and outside. That tent was starting to become stifling, the heat building up around me. As soon as I step out, the cold air nips at my neck. I remember the kiss, that magical kiss, when I actually thought she understood me. That I actually had a chance with her.

Hermione steps out of the tent now, letting the flap fall closer behind her. "Draco, please, let me explain." I sit down on the frozen ground, defeated. I have no energy, definitely not enough to argue with her. The least I could do is hear her out.

"Please don't call me that," I say softly. I'm not even sure if she heard me, but she sits beside me. Her hand inches toward mine, which is resting on the ground, but I move it to my lap. I can't stand the feel of her skin, it might be too tempting.

"Dr-Malfoy, listen. I didn't want to have to choose. It seems like I'm always stuck in the middle of something, whether it's Harry and Ron, or..." Her voice falters and she stares at the ground. "I don't want to get into that. But I'm sick of choosing, and I never thought I'd have to choose between you two." She turns to me, and her eyes sparkle with the unshed tears that haunt her past. "Look, I love the way you're changing for the better. But...this would never work out, even if I did choose you."

I eventually find the courage to meet her eyes. "I understand. I don't know exactly what you've been through, but I can tell that it's not good." I move a bit closer to her. "I can see it in your eyes. Because I can relate."

A tiny smile starts to grow on her face. "I have been feeling something different toward Ron these past years, and it's just been so complicated...being with you would make it even more complicated. I'm really sorry."

I smile at her, seeing that she feels good to get that off of her chest. But before I can continue, a whirl of black wind appears in front of me. It transforms into Bellatrix, an evil grin coating her face. "Hello, Draco. How I've missed you." She grabs my arm, her nails digging into my skin.

I look into her dark eyes, swallowing my fear. "Hello, Bellatrix." Her nails dig in harder when she sees Hermione behind me and her grin spreads.

"Draco, did you know that she was here?" she asks. I'm too afraid to answer, and silently plead with Hermione behind Bellatrix's back. She gets up, reaching for her back pocket, where I know her wand is.

"Bellatrix, he just got here. He was about to take us." I see Weasley's face peeking out behind her, and he backs up before Bellatrix can see him. When I shift over a bit, I can see him and Potter starting to pack up quickly while Hermione stalls Bellatrix.

"Oh, really?" Bellatrix asks, taking a step closer to the girl. "And why would you be defending him?" She grabs Hermione's arm as well, eyes glistening. "Is someone feeling sentimental?"

"Why would I?" Hermione asks sharply. "I'm not defending him. I'm just telling you what happened. I always believe that people should get their facts straight before they jump to conclusions." She rips her arm away from my aunt's grasp and wipes at the spot when she looks away.

Right as she does so, Weasley steps out and shrinks the tent, shoving it into a small beaded bag. He takes Hermione's hand, and my heart leaps. I look away when Potter steps out. Bellatrix lunges for the group, but they Disapparate right as she grabs at them.

She turns to me quickly. "Draco, we must go back." I see a slight flicker of fear in her eyes. She's probably afraid of the consequences of letting them escape...again. "Quickly." She grabs my hand and whips me away.

We appear right outside the gate, and breeze right through it like mist. Her boots click on the marble floor, and she blows a strand of hair out of her face. Before we reach the great room, she shoves me in the direction of the stairs. "Go to your room. I'll deal with you later."

I don't argue, not really wanting to stay and face the punishment that I will most certainly have to deal with later. I race up to my room, closing and locking the door behind me. As I lean against the wall, I close my eyes and think of the person that last sat in this spot. Her face, her hair, her eyes, her smile...

I hear Bellatrix's panicked voice downstairs, growing louder and louder until it eventually morphs into a shriek. I squeeze my eyelids closed even harder. There's muffled shouting, and I wish I could just block it all out.

Hermione. I miss her already. I wish I knew she was safe. I wish she was with me. I wish she chose me. I wish she'd kiss me again. I wish, I wish, I wish. But I know that can never happen. And will never happen.

But as I hear footsteps coming up the stairs toward me, I am not afraid. Because with all that has happened in these past few days, I know that the lingering spark of her brilliance, of her light, will stay in my mind- and my heart -forever.