i. the room

Beep . An abundance of wilted roses hung over the small table, once red now a deep black and petals sinking to the dusty floorboards below. Beep. I had listened to this constant sound for over 5 hours that I was now oblivious that it was even there.  People came and went and came again. You see, nothing like this has ever happened before so how can I know what to do? When I heard the sentence it felt like skipping a step. Your heart just stops for a second. Then you feel like you're falling into an abyss and you will never get out. Nana lay there cold and lifeless, so unlike her. And I hated it. I hated the fact that it was her. And it could have been any of these merely 7 billion indolent souls. But it was her.  Beep. The oversized windows blew the winter air through my tattered mustard sweater and messed with untidy braids. 'it's not like she's going to die', maybe just an innocent hyperbole, it felt like the truth. I couldn't bare to think it but her death was in the impending future and I couldn't change it. Minutes had turned to hours and it was still a very stupid world. Beep.
'Nana? I love you! You do know that right? You've made me laugh and in times like this cry but you can't go now. Please don't go. I'm just a girl. I need you. To wake me up at 3am to say you love me and to know what my sweet shop favourites are. I need someone to wrap my shivering  hands around when I'm alone. But now you would have been alone. But I'm here nana and I love you. And there's nothing I would do to change that'
Her hand was frosty and wrinkly but nevertheless I held it. I made sure she felt me and she couldn't forget. If she did.. She couldn't.