The Lost and the Unborn

In a peak of fury, Negan grabbed Dwight by the scruff of his neck and tossed him out the room like a bag of trash. He closed the door forcefully and locked it behind him. You eyed him with a stoic expression. Whatever his intentions were, they wouldn't be good. Not one bit. But you hoped Negan's berating and torture wouldn't have the same merciless bite as Alpha's. You shivered when you thought of her blade slicing your skin. Folding your arms and crossing your legs, you prepared yourself for the verbal rage Negan would shower upon you. As he stepped closer and closer with Lucille in hand, you sneakily slipped the photograph back into your pocket.

Negan wound up his arm as if he was going to grab you by your wrist. But he noticed your grisly scars and stopped. Pursing his lips, he inspected every inch of you. "What the FUCK happened here? Looks like you had a fight with a fucking deli slicer," he spat. You refused to respond. Eyes fixed on his threatening presence, you didn't move. "I asked you a fucking question, Jackie. I expect an answer." His words were harsh and prying.

You gulped and said, "My intention wasn't to leave for good." Formulating an explanation was like rearranging fragile crystal in a cabinet. "I just wanted cigarettes--"

"I didn't ask why you ducked out; deliberately disobeying my orders and fucking putting that fuck-boy Gio in danger of being beaten to death...which is pretty fucking stupid for a smart girl like you." Swinging his bat side to side, he continued with an edge in his tone. "Ah well, Gio's a lucky fucker. If he showed any further fucking disrespect, I would've taken off another one of his limbs. His stupid ass is probably still stumbling around looking for you. What a fucking goddamn shame..." You scowled and fought the urge to slap him across the face. "I hope you learned a valuable fucking lesson. But I didn't ask you why you left. I asked what happened to you." He was planted right in front of you; unwilling to bend to your level. His eyes were flickering with both anger and disappointment. The silver bristles of his beard framed his scowl.

Adjusting your lowly posture, you murmured, "I was captured."

His eyebrows raised. "Who captured you?"

"The Whisperers."

"Do you expect me to believe you?"

Swallowing the lump in your throat, you squeaked, "Yes. Yes you should."

Negan chuckled and studied Lucille's crown of barbed wire. "Sorry I had to ask, Jackie. But you've got one helluva bad track record. I'll go along with it, this time." He didn't seem convinced.

The only way he'd believe you was if you spilled everything; including your traumatizing encounter with that sociopath Alpha. Your heart pounded as you readied yourself for the big reveal. "There's something you should know about their leader, Negan."

"Did he do that shit to you? That motherfucking blood-letting shit?! If he did, I'll fucking slaughter them all right before his fucking eyes. They'll be fucking begging for death once I'm through with them." Waving Lucille in front of your face, he added, "And you won't pull another crazy ass move once I'm through with you."

Your gut tightened. Diverting the conversation away from an oncoming punishment, you spoke up, "Their leader isn't a he...it's a she. And she knows you." Cracking your neck, you silently prayed you wouldn't regret bringing this up.

"Oh really?" Negan laughed. "And who the fuck is she? I've run into some pussy-ass leaders, but not one of them actually had a pussy."

You met his stare and lifted your head. "Does the name 'Layla' ring a bell?"

His face transformed from beige to white in a hot second. The sinew in his arms tensed, and his irises appeared void of color. It was as of a frightening apparition materialized before him. He suddenly remembered. "There's no fucking way..." he whispered. "No. Fucking. Way."