Chapter twenty one

It had been two months since the failed wedding. Ross had tried calling, texting and emailing Alex, but she ignored or blocked him each time. Her heart was aching and she couldn't figure out how to stop it, because she wasn't sure what she was still so upset about. So she decided that it was time to leave London. The money she made as she climbed the ladder in the fashion industry meant that she could afford to rent her own small apartment in Edinburgh. She had a job waiting for her there training to take over a small but popular vintage clothes shop. She walks down the path through the meadows in the centre of Edinburgh trailing her bright yellow suitcase behind her. She finds her new apartment which overlooks the meadows, and dumps her suitcase among the millions of boxes that have already arrived. She goes down the narrow L shaped corridor to the kitchen. She looks in all the cupboards and the fridge only to find a pack of half eaten digestives and some stale milk. So, she throws the milk in the bin grabs her bag and heads out to the shops with a digestive in her mouth.

Street lights shine off the puddles on the path making the city look beautiful and warm. Alex only passes a couple of people on her short walk to the Tesco on the street that runs parallel to hers. She grabs a basket and picks up whatever takes her fancy, which is mainly quick and easy meals. But when she skims down the DVD and CD aisle, something catches her eye. She stops and retraces her steps. She picks up the CD on the special shelf reading 'hit new album'. On the cover is a picture of a polaroid picture that is all too familiar. She sets her basket down and reaches into her bag for her purse. Out of her purse she pulls a vary tattered polaroid picture and holds it next to the album. She was given the picture from her purse just over five years ago. It is of Ross spinning her round in the snow. And the picture on the CD cover was taken seconds later, when he pulled her in to him and kissed her gently, lovingly. She can almost remember how it feels.

She stands there for a few more seconds before putting the photo back in its place in her purse, picking up her basket and putting the CD in her basket. As the checkout ladies scans all her shopping she wonders if she should go and return the CD to the shelf. As the fairly young check out girl continues scanning, she starts to look at Alex's face very closely. Alex taps her figures nervously whilst trying to avoid the girl's strange stare. The girl suddenly leans back and smiles to herself.

"You're her aren't you?" she asks abruptly. Alex turns to the girl and gives her a frown.

"I'm not sure what you're talking about" she says as she packs her shopping into a carrier bag.

"You're the girl who in the pub on new year's, when was it? Like three years ago? And then again, that song, when you were crying, that was this year" the girl speaks quickly. She takes an even closer look as Alex's mouth hangs open in shock. The girls face lights up "and you're the girl that had that thing with Ross lynch, aren't you?" the girl finishes. Alex clears her throat as she composes herself.

"No I think you have the wrong person" she says nervously. The girl seems to give up and goes back to scanning. But after having scanning the CD she thrusts it in Alex's face.

"See that's you there" she says pointing at Alex in Ross's arms. Alex snatches the CD off her and shoves it in the carrier bag.

"Yes, fine, I'm the girl, big whoop" she snaps getting frustrated. The girl smiles and goes back to scanning.

"You know, R5 is playing a concert in Edinburgh next week. They say it's going to be a pretty special gig, one of a kind, maybe you should go, I am" she says with a face Alex couldn't quite read. Alex pays for her shopping.

"I'm good thanks" she says before picking up her shopping and walking out.

"Just think about it" the girl calls after her. Little did Alex know that the girl took a photo of her before she left. As soon as Alex was out of sight the girl went on Instagram, twitter and Facebook and posted the picture with the caption R5MISTERYGIRL. It soon trended and was soon on Ross's phone screen. He smiled as he read that she bought the album. His plan might just work after all. He quickly went into his contacts and found Emily. It didn't take long for her to pick up.