Chapter 2

I just can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of death. I just don't understand death. I mean, how can someone just completely disappear? And death doesn't knock on your door and say, 'Hey! I'm here, time for you to say goodbye to the mortal world!' All proof of their existence in this world abruptly vanishes, and is another step to understanding oblivion. Sometimes, when my parents are at home, a thought pops up in my mind for a millisecond, What would it be like if they just went away, just absconded, disappeared into thin air. I throw a glance at the book I just finished reading - 'The Girl I saw Die.' The book defines death in a cliche yet touching way, and the aftermath of someone's demise. People move on in life. I wonder what it feels like? Does it feel like an enormous segment of your persona has been sucked out, comparable to a dementor or like an empty seat, which acts as a constant reminder that you too will die someday, and it is certainly inevitable. Even though everyone knows that it's true doesn't prove the fact that they necessarily accept it.

My trail of thought gets interrupted by a brunette haired girl, who must be in her mid-twenties, wearing a navy blue uniform along with a tray, offering a glass of water to me with the typical phony smile that nearly all air hostesses wear.

I used to think they were stars, with their beautiful uniforms and gorgeous looks, so philanthropic and nurturing, almost like saints. I insisted to travel in economy class, when my parents said "Oh Good Lord! Do you know the diseases people could harbor in that tiny chamber?" It seemed as if it were Veruca Salt all over again, although in reverse. Thinking that they were once the sane, excited people that could have been giddy and nervous about their first flight, as a part of a struggling middle class family, is quite impossible.

As I look out the tiny window to catch a glimpse of the cyan-lilac sky as the sun begins to set, I feel like I'm spectating the end of an enchanting hollywood movie. But, all of it is just beginning, isn't it? I look over to see a few children playing around and struggling to reach the little television that is placed in front of their seats.

As I reminisce the memories I made with Trinity in Scotland, I realize I'm acting as though I'm leaving forever when actually i'm only going for the last 3 months of the semester. You can't blame me! I have never lived anywhere else, but home. And I guess that compensates!

But, as life has always taught me, there is no day that is superficially 'perfect'. Some things happen, and those can potentially ruin your day. But it is your choice whether you simply go with the flow and improvise, or you overdramatise the situation.

Shockingly, unlike the different personas we have, we are both doing arts, but just utilizing a different medium. Through Photography, you have the opportunity to select your canvas. You can capture the negatives and convert them to positives, whereas in Visual Art, you get to create your own canvas and you have the ability to blur out the negatives, or enhance them, it is completely up to you. One of the main reasons I am so fond of art, is the unabridged freedom that comes along with it.

Probably, one of the only reasons I even got selected was because my ideas are ingenious and innovative, but I face a difficulty when I have to actually  do them. That is why I'm going in as the 'Advertising/Design Team Heads' intern. I probably shouldn't worry though, since I'm pretty sure I won't be going for coffee runs. Although, I've heard that my so-called 'boss' is damn neurotic and uptight. That means, I gotta buckle down to sway him! One of the most paramount parts of working in such large organizations is the fact that they particularly hire people, solely to serve their coffee. I shouldn't be that astonished though, since it's the same case at my own home.

While I think about that sentence, I realize that I've now put myself into another dilemma. I don't understand the perpetual concept of 'power and authorization' either. Like, how can you possibly pay someone for respective demeaning jobs at times. Nonetheless, that is another trail of thought I wouldn't fancy going into, I think to myself as my eyelids begin closing and I drift into a deep sleep.

a/n: Hi! It's Unnathi and Krisha! This chapter is quite a short one because most readers wished an addition to the first chapter and were impatient, but I assure you that the next chapter will be much better! If you're enjoying the story, please vote, comment and follow!