|CHAPTER ONE|

|ONE|

"I'm home!" I yell into my quiet house that looked seemingly empty.

"Not like you care." I mutter after a few seconds, when I don't get an answer. I turn to head upstairs into my room.

"Jade, come into my office. I need to talk to you!" My father yells from his office. Surprise fills my face as I walk into the kitchen opposite from the stairs and into my dad's office.

"Yeah, Dad?" I say poking my head into his office.

Looking up from his computer, his glasses fall down from the bridge of his nose.

"Sit down." He states, jutting his head to the seat in front of his desk, and looked back at his computer. I walk swiftly from the door to the chair.

"So, what's the problem?" I ask looking at him bluntly.

"I just got a new project at work and I'll be working on it for three years in New York. Which means I will be gone until you finish high school. This project will take up most of my time and I'm afraid that I won't be able to be here to help you." " I snort. As if my dad has took care of me, like making me find my own way home from dance, having to make my own dinner and eat it without him. He really shows he cares. But still, surprise filled me.

"So I have made a decision to have you stay with James Easton. We both went to college together and he lives in Northern California. You will live with them until you go to college. He is going to come and pick you up at the end of the weekend, so you should go and start packing." My father says dismissing me, without even looking up from his computer.

"W-what?" I stuttered. He's going to be away for three years and leave me with a family that I've never met before.

My dad sighs, "you heard me."

I sink back into my seat taking this all in. I couldn't believe that my father was leaving me alone. Tears were stinging my eyes, unable to hold them back any longer; I dashed out of his office.

"Shut the door " My father yells after me. I come back and slam the door. I quickly grab my backpack and run up the stairs.

Running into my room, I close the door and pressing my back against it, tears flowing down my face. I slowly slide down; bring my knees to my chest and burying my head into my arms, crying my eyes out. After a while I calmed down and decided that I should call Brianna my best friend since kindergarten. I searched inside my backpack, and found my phone, and quickly called Brianna. She picked up after two rings,

"Hello?" Brianna asked into the phone.

"Hey it's me"

"Oh, hey, what's up?"

"I have something to tell you." I say trying to stall.

"What is it?" Brianna voice filled with worry.

"I'm moving away-" I was cut off.

"What did you just say? No Way!" She screamed into the phone. I held the receiver away from my ear, and could still hear her talking. "why-stupid-unbelievable."

"Brianna, it's not like I want to move. My dad's making m." I was on the verge of tears, again.

"But why? You're my best friend, Jade!" She replied.

"Because my dad apparently got this big thing at work and won't have enough time to care for me," I said.

"That's so unfair. When are you going to come back?" She said, worry filling her voice.