Prologue

Joel leaned back on the sofa, enjoying the first quiet he'd been able to get in awhile. He had just closed his eyes....when the front door opened. He looked up to see his almost 17 year old daughter, Sydney, come in with her backpack.

       "Dad, where were you? We had the championship game today, and you promised you were going to make it." He groaned inwardly. He had forgotten...And gone to lunch with the band.

      "I'm sorry, baby girl. I'll be at the next game." She dropped her backpack and set her basketball on the sofa.
      "That's the thing, dad! There's not going to be another game until November. And that's when you have another tour." She said that with disgust, like she couldn't believe he was doing that. Joel looked at her.
      "Baby, I'm sorry. I forgot. I'll figure out a way to be at the next one." She shook her head, blinking back tears.
      "You know what? Never mind. Don't bother. You'll promise you'll be there again, and then you'll forget. And then you'll make the same promise all over again." She picked up her stuff, heading for her room.
       "Just forget it." Joel sighed. He didn't try to be such a bad father....He just wasn't good at being one. His wife, Moriah walked in right as he heard Sydney's door close.

       "I heard all that. Joel, you can't keep doing this. She's going to be headed to college soon, and then she won't even be here when you're on break." He put his head in his hands.
       "Well, what am I supposed to do?" She put her hands on her hips.   
       "You actually show up. Joel, she begged her coach to let her call you, but she refused. And my phone was dead, otherwise I would've called. Joel, it was the championship game, and she dunked the winning basket. Do you know how hard it was to see her nearly in tears when she realized you weren't there?" Joel let his hands drop, and he stood.

       "Moriah, it doesn't seem like she needs me as much as she needs you." Moriah shook her head, tears in the corners of her eyes.
      "No. Joel, she needs you more then she needs me. Please, just try to be the dad she needs. You're running out of time. The clock is getting close to midnight, Joel. And then she's just going to be gone." He nodded, placing his hands on her shoulders.

        "I'll try. Do you want me to go and get the stuff for the party?" She nodded, and handed him a list. He headed out, quickly giving her and Sydney a kiss on the cheek. As he drove, he turned the radio on.

    She spins and she sways
    To whatever song plays
    Without a care in the world.
    And I'm sitting here wearing
    The weight of the world on my shoulders.

    It's been a long day
    And there's still work to do.
    She pulls at me, saying
    'Dad, I need you.'
    'There's a ball at the castle'
    'And I've been invited.'
    'And I need to practice my dancing.'
    'Oh, please. Daddy, please.'

     So I will dance with Cinderella,
     While she is here in my arms.
      Cause I know something the Prince never knew.
     Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
     I don't wanna miss even one song.
     Cause all too soon, the clock will strike midnight
     And she'll be gone.

      She says he's a nice guy, and I'd be impressed
      She wants to know if I approve of the dress
      She says, 'Dad, the prom is just one week away.
       'And I need to practice my dancing.'
       'Oh, please. Daddy, please.'

       So I will dance with Cinderella
       While she is here in my arms.
       Cause I know something the Prince never knew.
       Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
        I don't wanna miss even one song
       Cause all too soon, the clock will strike midnight
       And she'll be gone.

        Oh, she came home today
        With a ring on her hand
         Just glowing and telling us
        All they had planned
        She says  'Dad, the wedding is six months away.'
        'But I need to practice my dancing.'
        'Oh, please. Daddy, please.'

         So I will dance with Cinderella
         While she is here in my arms.
         Cause I know something the Prince never knew.
         Oh, oh, whoa, I will dance with Cinderella
         I don't wanna miss even one song
         Cause all too soon, the clock will strike midnight
         And she'll be gone.

          Joel pulled over, letting his head drop to the steering wheel, and he started crying. He'd let his career get in the way....And now, midnight was ticking closer and closer every minute. He managed to calm down after a few minutes, and pulled back out. He pulled out his phone, dialing Sydney.

      "Hello?" He opened his mouth to speak. But....that never happened. The next thing he knew, there was a ear-splitting screech, and then everything started spinning. When it stopped, he realized he was upside down. He grabbed for his phone, but couldn't reach it. He heard screaming on the other end.

       "Dad? Dad, can you hear me? Dad, please answer! Dad! Dad!!" He finally managed to grab it.
       "Sydney.....I'm....sorry....." He gasped, hearing sirens. Then everything went black.