Chapter Ten

James knelt beside the stone, reading the inscription. Every time he read it, it shattered his heart. Rebecca Grace Thomas- November 12, 1875- December 25, 1892. 1 Corinthians 13:12. Blinking back tears, he placed the single pink rose on her grave. It was almost June, and it still felt someone was stabbing him every time he imagined her smiling again, or imagined her singing. He heard footsteps, and turned to see David there. He stood, and his brother hugged him. He lost it, pretty much sobbing as he returned the hug. 

       "Why did this have to happen?" He asked, pulling back, his eyes red.
       "Why did she have to die? She....She was still so young. She didn't do anything to deserve it." David shook his head, bending down and placing a white rose beside the pink one.

       "No, she didn't. God said she had done what she needed to do, James. He decided she didn't need to experience any more of the pain here." He looked down, and David placed a hand on his shoulder.
       "James, haven't you seen how many people she impacted with that one song on Christmas Eve? And her peaceful attitude towards your arrest? People changed their minds when they saw a seventeen year old not holding a grudge against the corrupted sheriff that arrested her dad for no reason." James looked up, staring off at the pink, red, and orange sunset in the distance.
       "I know. And I'm glad you're the sheriff now, but it still hurts, knowing she's gone and not coming back." He nodded, looking up.
       "It does. But.....we don't see the big picture quite yet. We won't see it until we get to heaven. Then we'll understand why this happened." David turned, walking off. James stood there, then he saw a young lady standing there. She wore a white dress with lavender embroidery, long brown hair down in waves, and she held a single red rose.

       "R-Rebecca?" He whispered, his heart pounding. She smiled, coming closer. It was her. It was Rebecca. He started to run to her, but heard her saying something quietly.

       "What?" He watched her lips, finally understanding what she was saying.
       "Let me go. You need to let me go. Release me." He shook his head.  
        "No. No, baby, I can't. I can't let you go. I wasn't supposed to lose you." She smiled again. 
       "You can. Don't live in the past. You have a life here and now. Please, dad. For me. Let me go." James sighed, and said the hardest words of his life.
       "Okay, baby. I.....I release you." She smiled, leaning close and kissing me on the cheek.
       "I love you, dad. Don't ever forget that." Then he blinked, and she was gone. But, where she had been standing lay a single red rose. James knelt, picking it up and he smiled slightly.

        "I won't, baby girl. I won't ever forget that." He started walking back towards town, the rose between his fingers. He got back to the house, and found Hannah, sitting at the table and flipping through Rebecca's notebook. He placed the rose on the table, wrapping his arms around her. She gripped his hands, allowing a few tears to roll down her cheeks. Losing their baby girl was the hardest thing that ever happened to them.....but with God's help, somehow, they'd make it through. They didn't quite know how yet, but somehow......somehow they'd get through. And they both knew that someday they would get to see their little girl again. They knew it would happen someday......but they would just have to wait.

1 Corinthians 13:12- For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.