Stage 6: War - Chapter 13: The Plan

Stage 6: War – Chapter 13: The plan

            Parker sat in his living room as the windows shook and the sunset sky lit up with daylight. The lights flickered and explosions could be heard outside. Carol sat across from him and let out a small yelp. She moved over to Parker and embraced him holding on tightly.  There was another flash and another rumble and a hard wind shook the house.

            “When is it going to stop!” Carol shouted bursting into tears. Parker shook his head. He looked out the window to see a face looking in and he jumped back before realizing it was Trevor, Harry, and someone they didn’t know.

            “Shit,” Parker pointed the gun at Trevor. “Harry, if you’re one of them. Poke your finger. Now!”

            Parker was barely audible though the explosions but Harry pulled a pin from his pocket and poked his finger and Trevor’s. He hesitated for Kojak’s but Kojak nodded and held his finger out a dot of red blood emerged from Kojak’s hand as well. Parker opened the door and let the three in then quickly shut it behind them.

            “What is going on out there?” Parker shouted.

            “The governments around the world are trying to bring down the ships. They don’t know what to do. If I’m guessing right though – my people will intervene soon.” Kojak nodded. “You see, we’re going to need you alive Trevor.”

            “What? Why me?” Trevor asked as the windows shook once more indicating the impact of another missile.

***

            Agent Goodman stood on an airstrip watching the white line of exhaust leave a fighter jet as it flew across the sky. He turned as Agent Sanchez trotted up to him and singled Goodman that their plane was ready to take off.

            “They’re not having an effect.” Goodman noted walking next to Sanchez. “Plus, reports just came in that one of the ships over Los Angeles fired a beam demolishing the city.”

            “I’m aware,” Sanchez replied solemn as he reached a private jet and boarded it. “You see, there was something we could not speak about in the meeting. Our trump card in this crazy battle.”

            “The other aliens.” Goodman guessed but by the look on Sanchez’s face, he guessed right. The two sat down and buckled their seat as a flight attendant shut the door. The hum of the plane engine filled the cabin

            “This information is beyond the government. The Libutho leader contacted me shortly after the meeting. She informed me that they these creatures’ defenses match their ships recognition system. “ Agent Sanchez buckled his belt as the plan started to taxi onto the runway. “Right now, they don’t think we have anyway of getting aboard to authorize a change. You see, the Libutho can get aboard but we need a human on the ship to put our DNA in the system reader. That way we can send people through. We can bring them down.” The plan sped down the runway and lifted off.

            Goodman eyed Sanchez and it clicked. “A human who has had interactions with them away from Earth. We know of…”

            “One, yes, from the report Trevor Burkett.” Agent Sanchez answered. “We need him to get onto the ship. Goodman looked at Sanchez and waited a beat.

            “Did you have family in Los Angeles?” Goodman questioned.

            “My father,” Sanchez replied.

            “I’m sor-“ Goodman looked as the satellite phone in front of Sanchez rang.

Agent Sanchez’s picked the phone up. His face became grim and he hung the phone up. He took a deep breath then muttered. “New York, London, Rome, and Berlin have all been hit.”

***

            “No, you’re not going.” Harry shouted in the living room drawing attention to himself. The bombings had stopped and the world was eerily quiet as the sun dipped behind the horizon and a strange, uneasy silence lay on the suburbia, which was in a panic earlier.  “You can’t just throw your life away like this!”

            “We don’t have much time.” Kojak reminded, “My contact at the FBI said we need to rendezvous with them in three hours. We need to hit the road now.”

            Trevor looked to Kojak and saw his eyes flicker yellow. The man, the alien, allured him in a way he had never thought. They had survived multiple alien attacks together and clung to each other in the deep coldness of space. Trevor then turned back to Harry, the boy who he had longed for since childhood.

            “Harry,” Trevor walked up and hugged his friend. “I need to go.” He whispered in Harry’s year.

            “But, I can’t, I can’t lose you.” Harry whispered back hugging Trevor. “I lost you once and I can’t again.”

            “You don’t need me.” Trevor answered and broke the hug. “You never needed me.”

            Harry knew now, he could see it in Trevor’s eyes. “So, was I just….because you thought he was…” Harry looked at Kojak and anger boiled up inside of him. He ran at the alien and swung a punch but Kojak was too fast and stepped out of the way as Harry fell to the ground. Harry lay on the ground and started sobbing.

            Trevor looked to Parker and Carol, “please take care of him.” He said then left with Kojak.

            Harry got himself up and then started after them his vision blurry with tears. He hurried through Parker's house and Parker grabbed his friend. “Don’t man, you don’t…” was all that Parker got out before Harry knocked him off and landed a punch to Parker’s right eye.

            Harry got to the doorway just as Trevor and Kojak pulled out of the driveway. He watched the car speed down the street and he sprinted after it. It got further and further away and Harry knew he couldn’t catch it. Panting and sweating he collapsed on the ground and cursed.

            “Fuck,” Harry punched the cement and then flinched pulling his hand back, he’d broke it and it was bleeding. Laying in the middle of the street he looked up at the sky. The streetlights started to flicker and the electricity went out.

            Harry noticed all the stars twinkle to life in the sky and continued to cry.  Soon enough Trevor would be up there with that alien, the alien that he had always loved. The alien he imagined sleeping with when Harry and him had sex.