ISM Associates: BoJ Could Go Further Into Negative Rates

ISM Associates: BoJ's Kuroda has not ruled out taking interest rates further into negative territory

: Japan's central bank, the Bank of Japan, has refused to rule out taking interest rates further into negative territory despite the policy's failure to boost inflation or economic growth.

During an interview given to a local newspaper, the Bank's Governor, Haruhiko Kuroda said that there is "definitely room for a further cut" alluding to the negative interest rate policy he introduced in February to general market surprise.

The policy was intended to weaken the Japanese yen but had the opposite effect resulting in a strengthening of the currency that wiped out much of the currency's decline against the US dollar. The Bank has introduced a controversial quantitative easing program that ambitiously sought to increase broad money supply by 80 trillion yen a year but it has met with limited success.

James Preston, Chief Economist at ISM Associates said, "The Bank of Japan, to put it bluntly, simply doesn't know what else to do. It has thrown everything at the Japanese economy and the currency but the results have been less than stellar."

My Kuroda has publicly ruled out the possibility of launching so-called "helicopter Money" whereby monetary policy fund fiscal spending but many investors believe that he will have little choice but to consider adopting the controversial policy if the yen slips much below 100 to the US dollar and growth continues to slow.

ISM Associates says it has pared exposure to Japanese stocks but standsready to add more weight if the central bank looks to be moving closer to moreunconventional monetary policy.

AboutISM Associates:
ISM Associates is a private investment management practice based in Hong Kong.Our highly-qualified investment professionals cater to the capital appreciationand wealth preservation needs of individuals and families with investableassets of at least $500,000.

Choosing to work with ISM Associates is, put simply the most prudent first stepyou can take in attaining your long-term financial objectives. During thecourse of our hopefully long professional association, you will discover thatthe things that matter most to you and your family are what matter to us.

Contact ISM Associates:

Dragon Center, Floor 21,
79 Wing Hong Street,
Sham Shui Po, Kowloon,
Hong Kong, China

+85258014527
info@ismassociates.com