Chapter 13 - Make You Feel

[Camila POV]

Shawn and I were hanging out again at his place and I couldn't help but feel awkward about it, given the circumstances. Despite the fact that I genuinely enjoyed his company and would've wanted to hang out with him on my own - it started to feel like all our hang-out sessions were scheduled and mandated by our management. Whether it was coming from my camp or his, we were always pressed - or, as they like to say "reminded" - to see each other. Not only that, they insisted to take it a step further by asking us to "make sure there's a cute photo or video to share with the fans".

Yup. For the fans. Uh-huh.

Anytime cameras were around, our teams suddenly felt we "should hang out" with each other. Anytime cameras weren't around... well, there's always an opportunity.

As nerdy and kindergarten as it sounds, Shawn and I were hanging out in my absolute favorite way: just sitting at the table and talking... and eating some fresh baked cookies. We decided to take a break from Spanish and guitar lessons, because I was pretty mentally drained after the week I'd had. He played me a few songs on the guitar he was messing around with, and every so often, he'd set it down so we could catch up and chat more. Honestly, being around a male presence was a breath of fresh air.  It was really nice and I was grateful to have a true friend in him.

Shawn's phone buzzed on the table, startling both of us. He picked it up and read the new text message, smirking and shaking his head.

"What..." I said, worried by the expression on his face, "What? Who is it?"

He cleared his throat and held his phone in front of him like he was about to read a speech. In a sarcastically severe voice, he read the text message aloud, "Don't FOURget - like the number 4, very cute, very professional - to make a vid or something for Insta. Post for ur fans. Smiley face."

"Huh...? What's that supposed to mean? Who sent that?" I squinted as I chewed on a cookie, completely confused and not catching onto him at all.

"Come on, who do you think?" his eyes met mine with a deadpan expression as he tilted his head to the side. I stared off with my mouth slightly open trying to think... it took me a short moment, but then it hit me.

His manager. Okay.

I immediately darted my head back to meet his gaze, eyes open wide, "Ohhhh..."

"Yep," he nodded, pursing his lips with a tinge of aggravation as he set his guitar against the wall, "You got it."

"Wait, seriously? Like, proof of... hanging out? Isn't that kind of weird? It feels weird."

"PR bullshit, you know how it works," he said with an overwhelmed laugh, rubbing his face exasperatedly with both hands, "So?"

"So..." I sighed, making the conscious decision to adjust my attitude and simply get it over with, "I guess we need to figure out a song, then!"

Shawn nodded and smiled at me, as if to appreciate my compliance. He then grabbed a cookie off the plate on the table and put it in his mouth; he held onto it with his teeth as he retrieved his guitar from the wall.

"We could do... I dunno, what songs do you like?" he settled the acoustic guitar in his lap and used his free hand to eat his cookie.

"Ed Sheeran? Is that too generic?" I folded one hand over the other, thoughtlessly messing with my ring, thinking off into space.

"Little bit, yeah," he mumbled with a full mouth, smirking at me.

"I don't know, then! I'm drawing a blank. You pick," I shrugged and adjusted my posture in my seat,"But is it cool if we hurry? I have to get back soon - I made plans."