Chapter 3: Blue Eyes and Freckles

"Good morning, mister.", she greeted with a genuine smile, her British accent thickening.

My first impression about English people is that they have high standards when it comes to fashion and grooming. I confirmed this when The Queen herself visited the estate for a bilateral meeting with the Order. She was the woman behind the word fancy and I don't think no one, alive or dead, could ever match her fondness of tea.

Contrasting to that, this girl right here has flocks of red hair tangled in knots falling down to her shoulder. Her bloodshot eyes have dark rings encircling them. The freckles in her face are like constellations of stars in a starry night. All in all, she looks like a total mess.

"Do I have something on my face?", I did not realize that I was staring at her before she snapped me back to my senses. I straighten my back and cleared my throat. That was embarrassing.

"Oh, no. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude"

"It's okay.", she placed the cup down to the side table like a pro before averting her gaze back to my eyes. Hers were like two shiny aquamarine orbs, reminding me of mom's. Come to think of it, she is also a redhead. What a coincidence.

Mom.

I never get to say goodbye to her before I left. I'm such a prodigal son.

"Can you tell me what happened last night?", I roam my eyes around the room. My cousin Chloe said that commoners and servants do not usually make eye to eye contact with the members of the Society as a sign of respect. Therefore, this girl doesn't have any idea who I am. That's a relief. My parents must be very good at hiding secrets.

"Well, I found you unconscious on the road. If my headlights weren't working by that time, I could have ran over you for sure.", she explained and the thought made me cringe.

"What were you doing around those parts? I mean, it's a remote area. You could have gotten yourself in trouble.", her shoulders sag and she ran a fist over her mouth, staring down to the floor.

"I was just getting my mind off things.", there was a slight shaking in her voice. She inhaled and let out a long sigh.

"What about you? What were you doing back there?", her expression changed into a more serious one. My gut twisted and a sudden chill ran up my spine. I'm on the hot seat.

I can't tell her who I am. There's a possibility of her surrendering me either back to the Society or to the rebels. I don't like neither of the two. She mustn't know my real identity. This whole running-away-from-home-so-I-can-see-the-world thing will be pointless if she finds out that I am Erik Blackwood's son. I can't trust anyone now that I'm at a vulnerable state.

"It's a long story.", I said but I think she bought it. Such a gullible girl.

"You can stay here for the mean time if you like. I don't mind.", she insisted but I hesitate. Is she insane? Maybe her parents forgot to tell her not to let strangers inside the house. Talk about bad parenting. Maybe she's an orphan?

"Sorry but I can't. Thanks for the offer tho. And for saving me.", I took her left hand and planted a kiss on the back of it. Her palm is remarkably softer than I thought. She pulled away like my lips burned her skin. When I look at her, her face was as red as a tomato. Charming.

"You don't have to thank me. It's my pleasure to help others.", she smiles and a pair of dimples appeared on both sides of her cheek. I take back what I said earlier. She's somewhat cute. I smiled back, brushing my hair backwards.

"Oh, look at the time.", I glanced at my watch, not actually reading the time. "I should probably get going. Again, it was a pleasure to meet you-", I paused, gesturing her to state her name.

"Meloney. Meloney Moore.", she continued. "And same to you-"

"Erin. Just Erin.", I grin as we shook hands.

"Let's get you home then.", she then escorted me out of the apartment and down to the first floor where the lobby is. By the way the receptionist greeted her, I can say she gets along with people pretty well. I envy her. There is no six digits of numbers that reminds her of when her lifeline ends.

I waved my hands goodbye before marching out of the hotel, the cold breeze clutching on my skin. I could really use a heater right now.

That was not so bad. It's only the first day of my life outside the estate and things are turning out just fine. I even get to meet a girl with a pretty name. Too bad I forgot to taste her tea.