A Fine Mess

Jackson turned and glanced back at the stoic figure of Jerome as they proceeded carefully along a nearly invisible trail through the marshy underbrush. They constantly had to push aside branches and shrubbery in order to keep moving. The ground below them was often covered in water up to a foot deep and both were grateful for the reinforced, waterproof boots they wore. Jackson was surprised at how Father Time's armor and head to toe covering seemed to keep him cool and comfortable, flexing and moving with his body like a second skin. He decided he could get used wearing it just as he'd grown comfortable with the A.I. car he now felt to be a part of him.

They moved forward with caution, fully expecting resistance at any moment. Jackson couldn't shake the feeling that their progress had been too easy up to that point. They were walking into a trap. Of that he was positive, but what choice did they have? After what seemed like a mile, but was likely a quarter as Orion told them it would be, they came upon the mouth of a cave. 

Jackson heard the quiet swish of metal against leather as Jerome unsheathed his blades. He drew the two pistols that were holstered at his hips and they stepped from the shadows of the trees into the small clearing. Jackson glanced at his winged companion and their eyes met. They nodded and then carefully proceeded into the cave's entrance. It was dark, but Jackson was pleasantly surprised and impressed when his vision switched to night mode automatically. His mask apparently had built in night vision and he was able to see perfectly. Jerome naturally saw well in darkness, so they proceeded unhindered by blindness.

They followed a narrow tunnel that seemed to wind and twist as it descended continuously deeper into the earth. Every so often there was an offshoot to the right or left, but they silently agreed to stay in the main tunnel until they came across something that would give them a clue as to how to proceed.

Suddenly Jerome stopped and placed a hand on Jackson's arm. His head cocked to the side as he listened. "I hear voices," he said. "We are close."

Jackson nodded. They continued and soon came upon large wooden double doors. There was a faint light glowing through the cracks underneath. Jerome nodded his head toward the doors.

"In there," he whispered.

They moved as though in sync, each taking a position on either side of the doors, weapons held at ready. Jackson moved his head closer to the wood, trying to hear what was going on inside the room. He nearly jumped out of his skin when all at once both doors swung inward as someone pulled them open. He lowered his gun at the figure that stood framed in the doorway and then jerked the muzzle skyward again when he saw what it was. The lady falcon stood before them with her hands resting on the hilts of her own knives. She looked from one to the other, her face as unreadable as Jerome's.

"Gentlemen. The master has been expecting you. Please come in."

She turned and walked back into the room. Jackson looked at Jerome and received the same questioning glance as he was likely giving him.

"You may put away your weapons. They will do you no good anyways," she called over her shoulder.

Neither of them obeyed, but they did move around the wall and follow her through the doorway. Jackson stopped short, his heart pounding in his chest. There across a vast, dimly lit room was the entire missing portion of their team. They were unbound and sitting in a row on the floor. None of them made any move to stand. Jackson's eyes found Macy and he could see her looking at him. He narrowed his eyes and looked closer. She stared back at him. He saw worry. Fear. She didn't say a word.

His gaze swept the room. The only other person present was the winged woman.

"Where is he?" he growled, his voice echoing off the walls.