Day Of The Dead

Chapter Eight: Day Of The Day

LILY

Had everyone in town suddenly decided that tonight of all nights they were going to go sober? Had they made a pact or a deal with the devil? Because the bar was dead when usually at this time we'd normally be swamped. I wasn't going to complain though because as a bartender it was nice to get a break. Mike was making good use of the lull in drinkers by kissing his boyfriend Tony.

"You two seriously need to get a room, I can hear your lips smacking together from all the way over here."

I fake gag before throwing the cloth I'd been using to wipe the bar down with at Mike's head. He catches it with one hand before pulling away from Tony shooting me a very colourful hand gesture.

"Boo, you whore." Tony pouts.

"You need to get laid, Lily."

Mike throws the cloth back at me before hugging Tony, they were cute together I'd give them that much. I catch the cloth and start to play with it in my hands nervously.

"Who'd want to sleep with me, Mike?"

"Did somebody say my name?"

I jump and drop the cloth at Jordon's sudden appearance on the other side of the bar. He grins while Mike and Tony wet themselves with laughter.

"Not cool Jordon, you nearly gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry Lily. What were you guys talking about before I nearly gave someone a heart attack?"

Mike snaps his fingers together, "I was saying that Lily needs to get laid, so she stops raining on mine and Tony's parade."

My face couldn't possibly go any redder, why did Mike feel the need to say that out loud? Jordon bursts into laughter at my clear embarrassment.

"I'm pretty sure George would fuck you, Lily."

"I'm pretty sure all George sees me as is a babysitter and nothing more. Besides Jordon I thought you liked me, Mr annoyed at Ava for cockblocking you."

JORDON

~2 Hours Earlier~

"God the two of you have it bad for Lily. So who's going to man up and make the first move?" Dylan laughs, leaning against the wall.

Both George and I stare at each other, he had it bad for Lily more so than me but didn't know how to address his feelings.

"No I don't Dylan, Lily's a good influence on Ava and that's all."

After George's denial an idea forms in my head, it was kind of evil but might just light the fire beneath him.

"Okay George, so you won't mind if I ask Lily out then?"

George's face drops for a few seconds before he quickly recomposes himself, "go for it, Jordon."

He gets up from the sofa and picks up our empty beer bottles before walking into the kitchen. Dylan raises his eyebrows in my direction and I shrug my shoulders. He sighs before following after George leaving me on my own.

After a few minutes playing on my phone, I realise that George and Dylan haven't come back from the kitchen. So I decide to eavesdrop like a good person.

"Why did you tell Jordon to ask Lily out George? When it's obvious you like her more than just a babysitter for Ava."

"I don't know why Dylan. It kind of slipped out, now she's going to date Jordon."

George sounded a little sad and desperate about potentially losing Lily to me of all people.

"You haven't lost her just yet George. Ava loves Lily, think about your daughter and how good an influence Lily could be on as she grows up if the two of you get together."

Dylan made a pretty valid point. If George and Lily got together then it would benefit Ava who needed a positive female role model in her life. I couldn't see Lily and I ever being permanent like she could be with George. But George needed to think he was losing Lily in order for him to man up.

~Present~

"So you're saying that George is falling hard for me but doesn't want it to turn out like his last relationship?"

Nodding, I bring the beer Mike had put in front of me to my lips.

"How do you get George to admit his feelings for Lily?" Tony chimes in.

"Make him feel like he's losing you Lily. This is going to sound horrible, but hear me out okay?"

Both Lily and I nod in unison, what plan was Mike cooking up?

"You and Jordon need to act all close around each other, then George will try and take you away from Jordon."

I scratch my head while Lily stares at me. It wasn't a bad idea on Mike's part, it could actually work.

"I'd be up for it if you are Lily."

She sighs, "Looks like we're fake together Jordon. Now excuse me gentleman but I need a smoke."

Lily leaves the bar and Mike and Tony go back to making out. Vic walks up to me and takes the bar stool next to me; he'd been silently observing the whole situation.

"You're doing a good thing Jordon but why? Don't you like Lily?"

"I overheard George talking about his daughter who loves Lily. If George and Lily get together then Ava would have a positive female role model."

Vic pats my back and I take another large swig of beer. However, I notice the short Mexican checking his watch.

"Do you turn into a pumpkin at midnight or something Vic?"

Vic doesn't appreciate my humour and instead throws something at his younger brother to get his attention.

"It's probably nothing Mike but Lily's usually back from her smoke by now. She hates that alley and won't stay longer than she needs to when on her own. Can you go and check on her?"

Mike groans but follows his brothers' orders, I was pretty sure that Lily had just decided to have a second smoke or something. Vic seemed overly protective of his staff though which was a good thing.

"She's probably on the phone, or having a second smoke Vic."

"Maybe you're right Jordon. I just have a gut feeling that something's wrong."

I'm about to tell Vic to calm down when Tony turns as white as a sheet. Vic and I follow where he was staring to see Mike had returned without Lily, but had blood on his hands and was shaking.

"Vic...you need...to...call...an ambulance...Lily's hurt..."

I hear the words 'Lily's hurt' and jump off the stool, and run towards where Mike had just come from. I emerge in the alley behind the bar and gasp at the sight in front of me. Lily lay lifeless on the ground covered in blood.

"Lily!"

I fall to my knees and check for a pulse, I find one but it's weak and her breathing was shallow. It was a cool night so I take off my jacket and cover her to try and keep her warm until help arrived. What the hell had happened in this alley? Lily had been attacked and left for dead. Vic's gut feeling was right.

"Come on Lily you need to stay strong. Help is on the way."

She wasn't responding to my voice and that worried the hell out of me. I needed to tell someone, and the first person to pop into my head was George. Wiping the blood on my trousers, I grab my phone and dial the familiar number. He picks up on the third ring.

"Jordon—"

"Lily's been attacked at work, and Vic called an ambulance. Can you meet me at the hospital?"

It was probably the last thing George ever expected me to tell him over the phone. Now all I could do was wait for the paramedics to show up and make Lily better.