1: The Accident

The loud rock music hammered through Grace's ears, and it made it difficult for her eyes to focus on the paving ahead of her. Bruce cracked a joke, something about a blond girl, which he said to make Grace feel teased, but she laughed anyways. She felt Luke's hand on her thigh, and she looked at him every now and then to give him a smile or a wink. His ash hair had fallen in his face, making his blue eyes shine even against the dim yellow car headlight reflections in the rear view mirrors. Samantha and Tina were giggling hysterically in the back, beer bottles still in hand. Grace had made sure to only have one drink, and promised to drive her group of friends home safely. If only she knew it was a promise she couldn't keep.

The road grew thinner, which meant Grace was nearing the Smith Crossing that signaled they were only a few kilometers away from Bruce's place, where they were staying the night. Grace sighed, thankful that the trip was smooth besides the few rain drops that splattered on the window or the puddles in road. Grace turned to look at Luke again, and he met eyes with her, his thin lips curling into a jagged smile. And then it happened. Quicker than lightning, quicker than a heartbeat. Within a small fragment of time, the following happened; Samantha screamed, followed by a ear splitting crash and the turn of headlights. Graces ribcage was hurled forwards into the steering wheel, and Luke's body was flung towards the front window. Samantha and Tina were thrown into Bruce, whose head shattered the window at the back. The skidding of car wheels and the pounding of rain made the scene sound so much scarier. The car slid off the side of the bridge, plunging into the dark waters below. As the car hit the water, dark currents gushed through the cracks and gauges in the car, and the headlights switched off, leaving all the passengers in a world of cold darkness. A millisecond before Grace shutdown, she glanced over at a bloody and lifeless Luke, whose hand was attached too tightly to her own. And she gave it one last squeeze before her brain closed.