Warning Up, Thawing Out

Tobi had been working there for about a month -and he and I growing closer -when December came around. 

On December 22nd, a Tuesday, the last day we had at work before Christmas break, and I asked Tobi if he wanted to come to my place on Christmas for a party I was throwing.

He said, "Well, my mom's living with me." I pushed my arms through the sleeves of my parka.

"If you wanna come, you can bring her, too.  Formal dress." I pulled on my hat and gloves.

"Okay.  Thanks.  I'll see what she wants to do." I tied the scarf around my neck.

"No problem." I put my bag across my body.  "Have a merry Christmas."

He gave me a little smile. "You, too."

TOBIAS EATON

I watched as she walked out to her car, unlocking it and stomping her feet to warm them up.  The little puff on the top of her hat bounced as she grabbed the ice scraper and cleared off her windshield.  I watched as she struggled to reach the top of the SUV.  I threw my coat on and ran outside. 

"Tobi!" she gasped, jumping as I took the scraper from her.  She sighed.  "Thank you.  I can never reach up there."

"That's because you're tiny, shortstack." I smiled down at her, relishing in the use of my muscles.

"Whatever, string bean." She poked my ribcage.  I noticed that her porcelain-like skin already had a cold blush.  I handed her the ice scraper.

"Thank you," she said, putting it in a bag she had and into the trunk.

"What's the bag for?" I asked.

"So it doesn't get my floorboards all wet."

"That makes sense." She leaned against the car frame.

"That's why I do it.  Need a ride?"

I smiled.  "Do you mind?"

"Yes, I offered and I mind," she said sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

When she pulled up in front of my building, she joked, "Want me to walk you to your door, princess?"

I laughed.  "No, thanks.  But thank you for the ride."

"No problem."

She ran her hands over the steering wheel.  "No work tomorrow," I reminded her, desperately wanting to stay in the car.

"Yup." She looked away, out the window, then said, much quieter, "Hayes loved the snow."

I felt a deep sadness, for her and myself and Tris.  "Tris didn't.  She liked the summer.  Gave her sunburns, though." I glanced at her.  "You, too, probably."

She gave me a little smile, then nodded.  "Yeah.  I'm too pale."

"No...it looks good on you.  It makes your eyes stand out, and red looks good on you."

I looked away, realizing what I'd said.  My cheeks got warm.

She coverered my hand with hers on the center console.  "Thank you.  I better get home.  My dog's going to be hungry."

I smiled at her.  "Thanks again." I opened the door.

When I was about to close it, she said, "Tobi?  If...if you need anything...you know where to find me, okay?" She rubbed the back of her neck. 

I nodded.  "You, too."

On Christmas, we arrived at Kollyn's house.  When she answered the door, she smiled brightly, said to my mother, "Hi!  You must be Evelyn!  Tobi's told me so much about you." She wrapped my mother in her arms, and my mother tensed for a moment before hugging back.  "Come on in!"