Introduction/Word from the Author

June 1952—in a world of poodle skirts, convertibles, and rock and roll...

At seventeen, Isadora (Izzy) Twiss is forced to accept she has a growing problem, and no matter how much she wishes it away, it just gets bigger. Having a baby out of wedlock is unacceptable. Those who do are shunned by their families and destined to lead a life of guilt and shame.

She is forced to "disappear" to a remote island where a nun led home for unwed mothers lies, surrounded by nothing but wilderness. There she meets other girls, all suffering from the same predicament. They bond together, sharing in the heartache that comes with carrying an illegitimate child.

Izzy dreams that one day, no matter how far-fetched, love will be hers to have and hold. When a mysterious man arrives on the island, Izzy realizes her dream just might come true.

***

Author's Note

Although this story and its characters are entirely fictional, it's based on true events that happened in America from the 1940's to the 1970's.

During this time, it wasn't uncommon for a high school girl, or even an older girl, to just "disappear" for a year when she found out she was pregnant, usually claiming she was going to visit an aunt out of town.

These girls were sent to homes for unwed mothers where they were often referred to as "fallen women" and known by only a first name—sometimes just by a number. They lived out their pregnancies in secrecy, and were often forced against there will, either by their families, or the homes they stayed in, to give up their babies for adoption. This was such a big deal during the 1940's to 1970's that it even has its own name, The Baby Scoop Era. Nearly 4 million babies were given up for adoption during this time.

Many of the "fallen" girls returned back to their schools and regular lives, the weight of their secret heavy on their hearts and minds...

I hope you will fall in love with Unwed! If you haven't already, please check out Winter Rose. It's a unique, fast paced thriller that I hope you'll also enjoy!

 It's a unique, fast paced thriller that I hope you'll also enjoy!

The sequel to Unwed, The Fallen Girls, is now published!