Chapter 39

Rocking back and forth in the rocking chair in the living room, Thomas falls asleep quietly in my arm. The other hand holds the phone to my ear and I watch Abel play with his toys by my feet as I speak down the phone, "So how was camp?" I ask.

"It was good, I learnt a lot of new techniques as a pitcher." Mason says excitedly.

"That's awesome, I'm so happy for you. I'm glad you had such an awesome time." I smile.

"Yeah, Mum and Dad missed me a lot but they got to spend time with some of their old friends." He explains and I nod, "That's good, you guys deserved to have some fun."

"When can I come over and see you guys? It's been a long time and I miss Abel and Thomas." Mason says and I give a weak smirk, "Only Abel and Thomas huh?"

I can almost hear him roll his eyes, "Yeah, you and Jax too... So when can I come over?"

I stop rocking for a moment as I look at Abel, trying to think of the best lie to tell him, "Probably not for a little while. It's just we both have so much going on at the moment, what with David's funeral and Tara's surgeries."

"How is she doing?" He asks and I shake my head, "Not too good Mase, she's taking everything really hard."

"Who can blame her? She just lost someone she loves. That's not something you can take lightly." He says, sounding a lot older than thirteen.

"Yeah..." I trail off, I glance over at the clock and see we've been talking for about two hours.

"I better go and out these boys to bed." I say, glancing over at Abel who lets out a yawn.

"Okay." He says, sounding slightly disappointed.

"Same time next week?" I ask, hopefulness in my voice.

"Yeah... Bye Emily." He says and I give a sad smile, "Bye Mason."

I hang up the phone and place it down on the table, I get up and look down at Abel, "Bed time sweetie."

"Do I have too?" He whines and I nod my head, "Yeah, come on now."

We make our way down the hallway and I go into Thomas's room first, laying him down before going over to Abel's room. I take a seat on the bed beside him and tuck him in, "I love you my sweet boy."

"I love you too Mommy." He whispers and I lean down, placing a kiss on his head.

He closes his eyes and settles into the pillow and I look at him for a moment, running my fingers through his soft blonde hair. My head spins as I think of those week's other horrific events, Gemma being beaten and Kozik dying on a run. Things have been getting worse and worse and I can't help the sick feeling in my stomach at the thought of it all.

The front door opens up and I get to my feet, making my way out of the room. I see Jax begin to walk down the hall and he looks towards the door, "The boys asleep?"

I nod my head, "Yeah. They just got down. Neeta's coming over soon."

He nods his head as we begin to make our way back to the living room. I fold my arms over my chest and lean against the wall, "I just got off the phone with Mason, he just got back from baseball camp."

"Yeah, he have fun?" He asks and I nod my head, "Yeah... He says he wants to come see us."

His face falls slightly, "What'd you tell him?"

I shrug my shoulders, "I told him we were really busy at the moment, so much stuff going on. It's not like I could tell him were staying away to keep him from danger."