Dance with me?

"Clove,honey? Can you please come done here?" my Mother calls down from the kitchen. I sigh and reply,"Alright Mom! I'm coming!" as I lazily get out of bed. Tonight's the night of my mom's work party and I can tell she'd freaked about it. Ever since she found out she got the damned job, she's been hyped about this big work party. The party means something to the company, I don't know why, but she's afraid she'll mess it up and get fired. I honestly don't give a damn. I pull my hair into a ponytail and rush down the stairs. My Mom is sitting at the kitchen table with her wire reading glasses on, hovering over a little notebook.

"You wanted me,Mom?" I say. She looks up at me and smiles,"Yes,yes I did. I need you to go out and get something". I walk over to the welcoming basket the neighbors brought over the other day and grab a muffin. "And that is??" I say before I take a bite of the muffin. She looks at me like it's the most obvious answer in the world. "My dress for tonight of course. Oh, and you must pick out a dress as well. It's a very formal event".

I do a spit take and spit out the piece of muffin that was in my mouth. Me, in a dress? All Hell is going to break loose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I decided to call Foxface to help me, because she seems like the type for a good eye of fashion. I mean, I'm sure she knows how to pick out a decent dress,right? One can hope. I already paid for Mom's dress and put it in the car so if I decided to storm out, I would at least have hers. I've been furiously texting Hail and River while Foxface searches the dress racks in the department store we are in. She told me to leave it to her because she knows what she's doing. Sure she does.My screen flashes yet another text:

River~ HAHA:) U have 2 send me a pic of u in the dress Clove! I need the prove that u wore it!

I quickly reply back:

Me- Over YOUR dead body :)  Talk to U l8r

"Here! I found it, I found it! Oh, I've done it!" Foxface says with a bright smile on her face. "I found it. The perfect dress for you!".

Oh,great. Now I'm going to have to try it on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Clove,you look beautiful!" my Mother says when she enters my room.

"Yes, she does. I think I did a great job!" Foxface acclaims. Oh,God! Foxface made me wear this one shoulder, knee length dress with these awful black heels. She even curled my hair and did my makeup! 

"I look" I say as I stare at my reflection in my floor length mirror, courtesy of my Mother. " Not that bad. Sure, I would never ever wear this again but it's decent". My Mother is so lucky that I wore this dress! If it will help with her job, then I'll do it. My Mother invited Foxface to come too, so at least I won't be a total loner at the party. Hey, I'm a teen! I am not supposed to hang around my Mom at parties. It's like, written in the teen handbook. "Well that's good! I was afraid you were going to hurt me!" Foxface says while fixing her hair yet again. " No offense, but you are intimidating Clove. You wouldn't think so because of your height, but you're scary! I thought you were going to rip my head off if I didn't do a good job!". 

My Mother chuckles and rolls her eyes. "Come on girls, don't want to be late!".

I have exactly one word for this night. Hell. And I was right, as soon as we got their my Mom kept on introducing people to me and they would try to start these boring conversations with me. Like Hell I'd talk to these people! Foxaface persuaded me to go over to the drink table to get punch,  More of, I persuaded myself to go over there. " Your Mom's colleagues are so nice!" Foxface says filling up a cup. " I wish my Mom's work buddies were this nice!". I scoff,"They are annoying as Hell".