Chapter 13 - The Illusionist

"You got a job?" Hector asked in shock after Phil admitted how his day went at dinner.

"Yes...."

"That's wonderful, sweetheart!" Mrs. Lester cheered for her boy. "First day completely on your own and you're already making something of yourself. I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks, Mum! I'm really excited. I guess I'll get to go out much more too!"

"Where?" Hector asked sternly.

"A nice place... They hired me on the spot. I just went in and preformed a few minor tricks, that's all. It's, um, a magic show."

Hector dropped his silver wear on his plate.

"A magic show?" Mr. Lester asked. "That sounds perfect for you!"

"A magic show?!" Hector angrily echoed. "A magic show! Unbelievable! Have I taught you nothing? You aren't supposed to use magic in public!"

"I figured this would make good use of it! And I won't have to be so confined. The people who watch will believe it's all tricks, not actual magic! Plus, I'll be getting paid for doing something I'm already good at!"

Angry glances were exchanged across the table. Mr. and Mrs. Lester were sitting between the tension of their son and his teacher.

"You might be a great teacher, but you can't run my life! I know how to control myself now! I should be allowed to at least put it to use!"

"Phil," he said slowly.

"What?! What, Hector?"

"You're right."

Phil rested. "I am?"

"Yes."

"About what?"

"You should use your magic. And using it for show might not be bad for you. Me? I hate magic shows. They're all full of the dumbest and most pathetic acts in existence, and personally, nothing compares to real magic versus a simple eye-trick. I got angry by instinct, not because I didn't feel like you could do it."

Phil took a bite of his food.

"Using magic for show is stupid to me. Why show off? People don't have to know of our powers. But then again, you could use the show as a way to extend your strength. And also, you are right that the people will not know the difference. They don't know about actual magic versus an illusion.... Perhaps it will be good for you."

"The owner seemed very interested in me."

"Good."

"Hector, do you really think it's safe enough?" Mrs. Lester asked.

He looked at Phil. "I think he will be fine. He's old enough, and knowledgeable enough."

I just don't want to see you hurt or hurting someone else, Hector's voice intruded Phil's head.

Thank you, he thought back.

You're like my own son. I don't want to see you go either.

Why are you acting this way all of a sudden?

You've only just learned to seriously read a mind. If you could do it before, you would've heard this before. Hector gave a stern glance at him.

If you care about me so much, why did you hurt me so many times growing up? Why did you make me fear you?

Magic is horribly dangerous. I had to hurt you to make you work. I would rather hurt you than see you hurt yourself. Ruling with an iron fist gives results. I had to be sure you would succeed.