Part V

What did she mean that she had only "just begun"? I thought. That sounded absolutely, terrific. I don't want this to sound bitter, but seriously, this is not my week. I'm getting mixed messages from everyone who was on this island today. First of all, every time Calypso speaks of visitors, she looks so depressed. Then there was Hephaestus, who at first, tried persuading me to stay, and then totally contradicted himself by suggesting to leave and be with my friends. Then, following Hephaestus, was a not-so-pleasant guest to the island; Aphrodite. She told me to follow the heart that she gave me, which makes me not want to trust it seeing that it was from this menacing goddess. I really have no idea what to do. Its like when I'm in a restaurant and I want blueberry pancakes and a cheeseburger, but only brought enough money for one thing.

I tried to relax a little before making my life altering "pancake vs. cheeseburger" decision. Calypso and I sat on the bench, which I passed out on yesterday, and watched the moonlace bask in the light of its patron. It bloomed as we watched it and shimmered in the light, bringing back a sweet, almost distant memory- even though it wasn't that long ago- Annabeth's eyes. They twinkled just like this beautiful plant. The shine magnified as she looked at architecture, especially while we were in the Labyrinth. She admired the beauty of what she called art and I did the same, it was her. I should use that line sometime. A little off topic, sorry. As I snapped out of that mental image, I felt that memory of her slowly fading away, until it diminished to nothing. This is not good.

ANNABETH

All I felt was pain. Not a physical pain, but a mental, gut wrenching pain that was eating away at my insides; threatening to take me over. But, no. I couldn't let that happen. I flashed back to the last time I saw him.

It was smoldering in the forge and Percy was with me. We were hiding behind a crate of some sort and I just glared at him. He had done it again. Couldn't he just learn to stay put for once? The answer is no. This time he had gotten us chased by a group of teenaged Telekhines who had orders from Kronos to kill us. Nice one Percy. I couldn't have been mad at his smirking face for long. All I thought about was goodbye at that moment. He said he had a plan and that I should leave. How could I have been such an idiot? Of course he didn't have a plan, he's Percy Jackson, impossible. I kissed him, half knowing that I wouldn't see him for a while. Well, I was right, now I wouldn't ever see him again. Pangs of guilt flooded through me, as I suddenly realized that his death was my fault. I shouldn't have been such a coward and left, I should have fought beside him until the death.

They say that there are five stages of grief and that one of them is denial but I'm not buying it. There's something odd going on- I can feel it. It's like I can still feel Percy near me. I can't do this to myself, especially not now. Camp Half-Blood was commemorating Percy for his life given up for the good of its demigods and the gods. Now, Grover and I were to speak in honor of Percy seeing that we were his closest friends.

To be continued:

Next- GROVER