The Address

'The man in the antique shop wasn't very friendly, was he?' said Danny.
    We were sitting on the bus going home.
   I laughed. 'He was waiting for us to break something.'
  'And we didn't find out much more than we already knew.'
    I looked out of the window.  We were nearly home.
    'If I get the address from Mrs Marshall tonight, I'll try to find the house tomorrow or on Sunday,'I said. 'Do you want to come? If you give me your phone number, I can phone you.'
     Danny dug down in his bag to find a pen. 'Okay,' he said, and he quickly wrote his number on a piece of paper.
   I rang the bell for the bus to stop. We got off.
    'I'll talk to you later,' I said.
    'Okay.' He began to walk away, then turned and walked a few steps backwards. 'That was fun,' he called. 'Goodbye.'

I sat in Mrs Marshall's kitchen, waiting.
   'If I give you the address, Elise,' she calls from the next room,' you won't get into trouble, will you?'
    'No, Mrs Marshall.'
  'If the person doesn't want to speak to you, you'll go away, won't you?'
    'Yes, Mrs Marshall.'
  'And Elise...' She put her head round the door to look at me.' If the person asks you to come in, you will be careful, won't you?'
    'We'll be alright, Mrs Marshall. I promise.'
    Mrs Marshall disappeared again. I waited.
   'Here it is! I haven't lost it.' She some into the kitchen and put the name and address on  the table in front of me.
   Mrs M. Moreton
  15 Redwood Road, Hadenfield

It looks like a proper address,'I said.
  Mrs Marshall opened a cupboard door and took out a street directory. She put it on the table in front of me. 'Have a look in here,' she said.
    I quickly found the pages of street names beginning with 'R'. I ran my finger down the list. And there it was.
   'It's here,' I said. 'Maybe the house number is wrong.'
   'You're not going to visit all the houses in the street,are you?' said Mrs Marshall. She took the street directory and looked at it.
    I took it back. 'We won't make any trouble for anyone. I promise. Okay?'
   'Okay,' she said.
  I looked at the street directory in front of me. Hadenfield was on the other side of the city, but Redwood Road was not too far from Hadenfield train station. Danny and I could take a bus into the city centre and catch a train from there. I had piano on Saturday morning. We could go on Sunday.
    I'll phone Danny tonight, I thought. I hope he can come.

************************

Please vote and comment 😍