Chapter Twelve, part two - Reptiles

Erika woke up that morning to find me still awake. “What’s the matter?” she asked as we searched about our little hovel for our meager possessions. I owned one cell phone that couldn’t be recharged, the red baseball cap that Escher had assigned me, and now (by her own insistence), Erika.

“Nothing,” I said. I’d been thinking about Guts for a while. The depression did a good job of covering up the confusion and frustration and dread.

She rubbed my arm above the elbow. “Seriously? Nothing?”

“It’s… it’s nothing. I’m just stressed.” I didn’t want to bring her down. She hadn’t really known him.

She rubbed my back. I moved away from her. I had other things to think about—like dying.

“How are we going to do this today?” I asked.

“Improvisation,” she laughed. “We’ll just go with the flow.”

I didn’t think she was taking this very seriously.

“Aren’t you worried about getting captured… or killed?”

“In my experience, there is a certain way things are supposed to work out. Just relax, Clark, and let events unfold like they’re supposed to. Besides, I trust you. I know you’ll lead me in the right direction.”

I had no idea where to go or how to get there, and my legs felt weak and shaky as I descended down the flights of stairs that led to Escher’s office. When we reached the bottom we laid eyes on Mal, who was standing in a particularly menacing fashion at the fire exit—I suppose making sure we didn’t try to escape.

I noticed a single weapon on his body, but it didn’t look like it was made for combat. A rusted dagger in a leather sheath rested on a chain around his neck.

I didn’t try to talk to him this time, as he didn’t seem inclined to do much speaking anyway. Instead, I went straight to Escher’s office, keeping Erika tightly in tow. Mal made me nervous for her.

I pulled open the door. Whisper was seated at his chair with a pale cat in front of her on his table. She was stroking it gently and apparently speaking softly to it.

“Where’s Escher?” I asked.

“He’s gone, I’m afraid. I do not know when he’ll return. He has some things that only he can accomplish.”

“We have a few questions about this mission of ours,” Erika said.

“He means for you two to figure things out on your own,” replied Whisper. “Think of it as a way to win back his trust.”

“Win it back? When did he ever trust me?”

“His first impressions of you were favorable, though piteous. It’s rare that Escher likes anyone,” Whisper said. She straightened herself, apparently realizing she was speaking more than was required. “Anyway, it’s time you two leave. I have a map so you will at least know where you’re going—and don’t try to lose Mal. He’ll follow you, and if you misstep, he’ll most definitely kill you both. He wants to.”

“What is he?” Erika asked.

“A killer,” replied Whisper. “I told you before. If compassion is the essence of being human, he’s not human. Mal is a serial killer. He lacks the ability to feel empathy for other human beings, and left to his own devices, he would only cause pain and havoc. He only listens to Escher..

“Frightened Boy,” she continued, “you need to understand that what we do here is very important. You have to succeed in your mission at all costs. If this does not succeed, Escher will enact Project Epoch.”