24. A Move That No-one Anticipated

Rebekah grabbed Josie by the arm and walked her across to the front door, quicker than Josie's arthritis-ridden legs appreciated. Stefan and Damon looked across at each-other, over and over again, hoping that one of them had come up with an idea to save Josie from the horrible fate she was about to endure. Elena groaned and fell forwards into Damon's arms, her face a sickly yellow colour. Damon quickly caught her falling body and lowered her down onto the floor to rest, his hand cupping the gash on her head that had poured blood all over the back of her neck.

Even as Damon placed her gently on the floor, Elena didn't flinch or make any movement to protest. She was loosing consciousness, and loosing it fast. Damon winced at the blood that was pouring out from the back of her head, knowing that his first instinct to protect her and feed her vampire blood, would have no impact.

For the first time since Elena had returned to him, he was angry that the cure was in her system. If it wasn't, he'd be able to save her.

"Please Rebekah, I need to get her to a hospital. She'll die right now, on this floor, if a doctor doesn't see her and stop the bleeding," Damon pleaded with Rebekah with every inch of passion he had, but didn't dare separate his eyes from Elena's fragile body. Rebekah couldn't help but notice that his bright blue eyes were wide and full of fear, but also hope that maybe Rebekah would do the right thing. She had longed for a man to look at her in the way that Damon was looking at Elena right now.

Rebekah quickly shook off her sentimentality, knowing that it would only bring her weakness.

"You're free to take her to a hospital as soon as I've left with Josie and I'm sure that no one is following me," Rebekah weakly smiled in Damon's direction, hoping that he would notice. This time it was Stefan that pleaded for Elena's life, but with more force than Damon had managed.

"Rebekah, stop the games. We need to get her out of here now!" Stefan raised his voice a little louder than he needed to, hoping to cover up the noise from the garden that he had just picked up on.

Klaus was awake.

"I'm sorry Stefan, but I don't trust that you won't come after me, besides..." Rebekah's sentence was cut short when, out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Klaus walking in from the garden, dusting himself off.
"Oh bloody hell! Well there is no way I'm letting you go now. Nik's awake," Rebekah sighed, knowing that her exit with Josie had become twice as difficult. Damon immediately looked up from Elena after hearing Klaus' name mentioned, hoping that he would be able to charge in and kick Rebekah's butt so he could take Elena to the hospital ASAP.

Instead, he watched as Klaus walked in from the garden without speaking a word, and then shuffle over to Elijah's body. As he got closer to Elijah, Damon noticed that Elijah was starting to wake up too.

Rebekah cursed to herself, 'Damn it! Make that, three times as difficult,' she thought.

As soon as he was able, Elijah was quickly on his feet, adjusting his cuffs and brushing off the dirt on his now imperfect white shirt. Klaus smirked.

Typical Elijah.

The brothers cast a disapproving look in Rebekah's direction and started to walk over. Rebekah knew that she was no match for the two of them, plus Damon and Stefan at once, and so she resorted to the one of the few moves she knew she had left.

She stood behind Josie and wrapped her arm around her neck in-front, her other hand poised on the side of her head, ready to exert enough force in a second to snap her neck. Josie immediately started to cry, only now coming to the full realisation that this could be her last moment alive. As soon as Rebekah had threatened Josie in this way, Klaus and Elijah stopped in their tracks, knowing that Rebekah would kill her if they took another step.