The Letter (1)

I was sitting with the Weasley's in the kitchen of the Burrow. The war ended, and we won. I should be happy, its over, but it's difficult when a Weasley died. Fred died. The guy I had had a crush on since my second year.

"The Ministry has magically partnered every non-married couple in Britain." Mr. Weasley said, barging through the front door.

Those of us in the kitchen looked at him strangely. Then an owl came in with letters for George, Harry, Ron, Ginny and myself. Uh oh.

--

Miss. Granger,

Due to the loss of lives during the Wizarding war. The MOM is enforcing a marriage law. Your partner has been magically assigned to you, this person is suspected to be your best match.

Rules...

*If you are in a relationship in which you will be married, contact Percy Weasley by owl to remove your magically assigned partner, no later than May 20th.

*You shall not exchange your partner.

*You must have at least 1 child by the end of 3 years. Unless unable, proof is necessary.

*No cheating on your partner.

If any rules are broken wand will be snapped, and the offender will spend the rest of their life as a muggle.

Your partner is...

FREDRICK GIDEON WEASLEY

Thank you.

Have a great time with your new partner.

Sincerely,

Minister of Magic

--

A lot of people died five days ago. The Ministry of Magic had to do something to fix the population downfall. I just didn't think it would be this.

"I didn't think that they would be here so soon. I thought we would have time for you kids to pair off with those you already know and care about..." Arthur said as he sunk into his seat.

How... how did she get Fred? Magic doesn't make mistakes like this. Does that mean that Fred is alive? or near-death? Is he okay? Will he be okay?

"Okay, why don't we go around to each person... Ginny, you should go first." Mrs. Weasley said, breaking Hermione's thoughts and bring her back to the present.

Harry and Ginny looked at each other and smiled. "Mum, we are going to be okay; we got each other," Ginny said, as she leaned into Harry's embrace.

"Well, good, some good news came out of this nonsense. Ron, your next, who did you get in your letter?" Mrs. Weasley said her spirt lifted along with her posture. "Lavender Brown..." He replied then stormed off. He admitted that he liked me during the battle, in which I told him that I loved a different man. So I figure he thought that this was his chance. Haha, sucker.

"Well then, Hermione, dear, what about you." Mrs. Weasley said. "Umm, there must be a mistake. I got, Fred... Weasley." I replied nervously. Mrs. Weasley doesn't look happy anymore, she looks worried and sad as she watches George grab my letter and read it over and nod.

Well, what does that mean?

"I got Luna Lovegood, Mum. She's a great person, and I'll talk to her as soon as I get back. Come on Hermione, follow me." George said. I glance around the room, everyone is shocked and concerned. What if this is all just false hope. I run to catch up to George.

We floo to the hospital and go straight to where Fred's body rests.

The path we know all too well.

The nurse opens his bag to see him looking very pale.

George starts to cry, and so do I, but the nurse continues. Checking his pulse, the nurse notes that Fred is radiating some body heat and has a faint pulse. The nurse immediately tells George to get a healer, and with that, Hermione runs to send an owl to the Burrow. George instantly brightens up, glances at Fred one more time and quickly runs off, yelling for a healer.