ASYLUMSTUCK

Normality was never a fair word for Dave Strider. He always wondered when his life would change. His life use to be just like everyone else's; he was an average kid. He would play with other kids on the playground, and when he was good his parents would take him out for ice cream. That was that. However, now he wondered what life would have been like if his parents hadn't gone out the night they died.

He wondered

' what if the man had chosen to stay home.'

and he thought to himself

' what if the man hadn't been drunk that night?'

Dave knew this didn't matter now. The luxury of worrying about his parents was over now. Ever since his parents death he'd been living with his elder brother. His brother was a fairly nice guy, other than when he finally got annoyed of constantly trying to convince his brother he wasn't going to die. You see since the accident Dave had been having flashes. The flashes that went thru Dave's mind weren't of his parents death , rather his own.

Dave was walking home from school one day. The day when his hell started and the flashes turned to long moments.

"Rose, I swear if you tell our brother I cheated on that math test I'll personally make sure a cockroach is under your pillow tonight."

His stoic expression masked his true joy over his own threat.

"Do as you wish Dave, but the school will call first I assure you. Also a cockroach under my pillow? Surely you can do better can you not?"

His stoic smirk faded slightly and he let out a long sigh.

"Fine! Fine! Just let me be the one to tell him please. Maybe he won't kick my ass if I pretend to be sorry."

He slid his hand into his black baggy jeans pockets and kicked a small pebble into the street. Rose snickered softly to herself as her brother was entranced in the tumbling rock. She hadn't noticed him stop to watch it roll in the street. His vibrant red eyes glazed over masking the terrors he saw. He watched himself kick that rock, yet he had also watched his body move without his will into the road to get it. He watched the swerving car he hadn't seen only seconds before.

He saw the man drive directly towards him, and he felt the pain burn throughout his body like a burning fire starting up a incinerator. He fell to the ground holding his chest and what he assumed were broken bones. It wasn't long after that he had selfishly stolen back the air that was squeezed from his lungs moments before, only to release it into a scream.

"Dave! Dave what's wrong?!"

Rose yelled out to her brother running and cradling him in her arms. He trembled still entranced by the lingering feeling of death and loneliness. His body felt the weight pull down his core and his brain still betrayed him with false pain in his sides.

"Rose..."

He choked out hoping the pain in his throat would vanish soon.

"Dave it's ok! Don't worry... everything is fine. Alright? Just calm down. I'll call our brother. You're going t-"

Dave managed to pull whatever sanity he had left out of the depths of his mind to move from Rose's grip.

"I'm fine."

He whimpered out to her as he reached for his side bag and slipped it on.

"Lets just go back home. Please. Don't tell him."

Rose looked up at him with tears streaming down her cheeks.

"We can't do this anymore Dave! I can't handle you anymore! You know Dirk knows what you're trying to keep hidden so why don't you just give it up already! I'm sick of this and I sure as hell am sick of you and your lies!"