prologue.

" THE DEATH OF A BELOVED IS AN AMPUTATION. "

Angela Wright is a mystery.

She's the opposite of clockwork – almost like an enigma. It's not that she tried to be weird or mysterious. She just never found anyone worthy of her adventures.

Angela likes to go through life without connections or friends, but sometimes, she finds the journey quite lonely.

She was born in Hawkins, Indiana, where she stayed for her whole life. It's a relatively small town that's surrounded by trees, but Angela liked it like that. She could be an adventurer and still find something new wherever she went.

She went to school at Hawkins Elementary, Hawkins Middle, and now she attends Hawkins High as a junior. Everything is the same. Angela is still the mysterious quiet girl, and everyone still hates her.

It's not her fault that she doesn't like some people. Particularly one group of people, if she were to be honest. And to narrow it down even more, she hated Nancy Wheeler.

The bell suddenly rang, pulling Angela out of her thoughts. She slammed her locker shut, just staring at it before turning away.

Down the hall, she saw them all. Nancy, Steve and his friends, even Barb. They stared at her, some snickering about the way Angela was off in her own little world. Angela stared right back at them, glaring a hole straight into Nancy's skull. Noticing the threatening glare, Steve took his girl by the arm and pulled her into him. Angela walked away.

She then felt a rough shove, now on the ground with her books all strewn over the tile floor of the school. Angela winced, her tailbone bruised from the landing.

"I-I'm sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going."

Jonathan Byers was on his knees in front of Angela, trying his best to hurriedly collect her papers. Angela watched him, observing his hands as he rushed to retrieve all her things.

Jonathan was never someone she talked to, and vice versa. They were the weird and distant kids of the school, but they never talked to each other until now.

"It's okay," Angela said softly. Jonathan looked up in surprise at the sound of her voice.

"I don't think I've ever heard you talk," he said, pausing his actions.

"I'm kind of quiet," she replied, her eyes examining the way he fumbled with her papers. She looked to the side, noticing a stack of his own things laying about.

She silently picked up all of his papers, putting them back in an organized stack. Angela realized, though, that these papers were not ordinary school assignments; they were filled with Jonathan's brother's name and picture.

Jonathan looked up at Angela, whom was reading over his papers. His hands rested calmly on top of her things, his eyes solemn as he glanced between her and his brother's face.

"Will," Angela mumbled, staring at the picture of the twelve year old boy. She moved her gaze up to Jonathan. "When have you last seen him?"

"Just a few days ago," Jonathan replied, taking the stack of papers from Angela's hands and standing up. Angela followed suit.

"I'm so sorry," Angela said, frowning as Jonathan let his head down. "I'll help look for him."

The tardy bell rung out in the halls, but Angela didn't move a muscle. Jonathan smiled sadly down at her, wondering why out of all the people that attended the high school, she was the only one that offered her help. The girl that no one talks to – the girl that hangs in the background, going completely unnoticed.

Then again, they were alike in that sense. Jonathan was quiet, but he wasn't sure if it was for the same reason as Angela. It didn't matter all that much; she didn't seem as bad as people made her out to be.

"Thank you," Jonathan said, and Angela nodded.

As he watched her go, he wondered why everyone made her out to be so bad. Because she was the nicest person he's ever met.

There's the prologue. I have a few ideas for this story, so I'm excited to be writing it.

Thank you for reading. If you're a new reader: welcome, my name is Mikayla. If you're a past reader: hello again, welcome back. I hope you all enjoy what I have in store.

All my love,
mikayla x.