Prologue

• Dedicated to Miss Rebecca Robson

I spot it. Standing there feeding, oblivious to everything, comatosed in its own leechiness. Taking deep, silent breaths, I unsheathe my dagger, stalk and pounce. He turns slightly.  Crack! I miss and break the arm. He swings and slams me to a tree, gripping me by the throat. He was actually alert. Dropping the victim half dead, it turns to me and I see what I never thought possible.

"Jason?" I whisper. I couldn't believe it, I just couldn't.  Stopped for words, he stares at me, black eyes studying. Looking up and down, he drops me and vanishes. I lay there for a bit, groaning, not believing what happened. After a couple of minutes I get up and walk to my red Lamborghini. The drive home wasn’t as victorious as usual. It was – well it was emotional.

As I come into my apartment, my eyes start to water. Flopping onto my king bed, I start to cry. Hugging my pillow, I fight to bury memories of WW2 as my body trembles with sobs. How can this happen? I thought he was murdered by those pests, yet it was his aura, vampiric instead of human.  I never thought he was one of them. The thought made me cry even harder. What was I supposed to do?

***********

I drive to a Smoke family house, the best shamans, and meet up with the highest and strongest Vida family, vampire huntresses; who just had their youngest daughter changed to a vampire.

“Evening, Amethyst. Would you like a cuppa?” welcomed Carol. She stands behind the kitchen island. Her dark blonde hair piled into a bun on top of her almond-shaped head. Green eyes, highlighted with mascara, question me. A grey bohemia shirt with airy sleeves, hugging her torso tightly, blends with black denim shorts.     

"No thanks, I'm fine." I flop onto the couch, still musing over my hunt. “Got any coke?"

“No coke! You know what it does to your stamina." Corrected Dominique, my adoptive mother and head huntress. She wears similar clothes to me – a smoky top and blue jeans. “Two Green Teas please Carol. Now, what's wrong? Wasn’t the hunt successful?" She’s notes my distant gaze.

“You don't want to know."

“Come on, the first unsuccessful hunt just means you just need to train harder."

"It's not that, it just…"

“Just what?"

With dark, sincere eyes, I told her, “I nearly killed my brother."