Chapter 8-Turn It Off

The trip to school the next morning was a nervous one. It was my first day at school after making my first shift and I was terrified. Everyone had assured me that I'd have enough control over it to go to school today but it didn't stop me from thinking I was going to mess up and wreck everything. I probably wouldn't be so worried, only last night after I'd gotten home I'd had a couple of moments where I'd thought I was going to involuntarily shift. I'd been able to taste the acid on my tongue and my hand had started shaking slightly. When I'd looked in the mirror my eyes had shone like golden like the others. I hadn't told them about it yet and I hoped I wouldn't have to. It hadn't happened this morning, so maybe it was over?

I spotted Michael walking ahead of me. I wondered whether I should call out to him but it felt slightly wrong. Sure, he'd been talking to me now but things had still seemed kind of weird between us. I wasn't so sure he even liked me. He'd said I was fine to Calum and Ashton. But he always seemed nicer to me around them so it was hard to tell.

"Michael!" I called out deciding to do it anyway. The moment the word left my mouth I couldn't help feel a little embarrassed. Well he had been nicer to me the last day or so, I was probably just overthinking it.

"Oh hey, Luke." He spoke turning around to smile at me as he pulled out an earplug. "How are you doing?"

I breathe a sigh of relief, so far so good and none of the others were here. I had to be overthinking it for sure.

"I'm good." I reply, deciding not to mention last night to him. I was sure I was past that now.

We start to walk and he starts going through a list of things that I need to be careful of whilst at school, I tune out a little half-way through. They all seemed obvious to me. I already knew I wasn't supposed to shift at school, no one that didn't need to know shouldn't find out about this. As we get closer to the school and more students surround us, he becomes quiet again until we reach the school gate.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot you'll be needing this." He said before grabbing something from his pocket and offering me a piece of paper on floral notepaper. What did he want me to do with that? I raised an eyebrow at him, and he pushed it towards me again.

I decided to take it, but before reading it I held the note back up again, "What's this?"

"Your pass out of PE today." Michael says with a nod. "You don't want to hurt anyone, do you?"

Wow, only the second PE class at this school and I was skipping. I'd never actually skipped it before without an obvious reason and here I was using forged notes too. I did have a reason though, I thought about how fast I'd been yesterday. I guess if I tried to play soccer moving like that I probably would hurt someone. I read over the note explaining that I'd hurt my ankle over the weekend and was going to be out of PE until further notice. Well it was a long shot but I guess it linked up with what Calum had said to mum about me spraining my ankle last week at his place?

"Uh...thanks." I nod as I notice there was still another note in his hand on slightly different but still flowery paper.

"Who's the other one for?"

"Ashton..."

"Thank you." Ashton appeared, as he took the second note straight out of Michael's hand. He doesn't even read it; he just slips it into his pocket like it's nothing. I guess they've been doing it for a while now so it's not a big deal to them.

"So you're out too, huh?" I ask.

"I haven't participated in PE for months." Ashton nods, "It sucks because I like PE but it wouldn't be worth it if I hurt someone."

"You know you would be right to play by now surely." Calum says appearing from behind him. "In fact you could probably try today if you wanted. It's been more than long enough now, Michael and I went back after way less time than you've been out."