1

~from Author's POV 3rd person~
Decim watched Chiyuki as the elevator doors began to close. Tears slid from her eyes, but a smile formed on her face nonetheless.
That was the first thing that had managed to captivate Decim's attention and fix his eyes on her - her complexity. From what he could understand of humans, tears indicated sadness, while a smile was the universal symbol for happiness. As with everything else that she did, Chiyuki seemed to defy these pre-set laws of nature.
Decim's lips formed into what he could only assume was a smile of their own accord just before the doors shut, and that was the last time he saw Chiyuki's face.
As he turned and walked back to the bar, he could only wonder about his position as an arbiter. Did I send her to reincarnation simply because I wish to see her again? Have I jeopardized my role in the judgement of souls?
But after a moment, he remembered her gentle smile and her tears that fell like a sweet rain. He remembered her memories, particularly those of her mother. Perhaps most of all, he remembered her figure as she ice skated, flying gracefully in a way such as he'd never seen before.
She was beautiful - inside and out.
She would have been reincarnated no matter who was judging her, Decim decided as he poured himself a drink. As he set the bottle down, he smiled, something he'd learned from the very best. Still, I'm glad that it was me.
Decim took a swallow. He rarely drank alone or mixed anything for himself; drinking was best done with other company. However, Chiyuki was gone, and neither Nona, Quin, Clavis, nor Ginti were around, and Decim felt the need for a drink.
He held up his glass. "A toast," he said to the still air, "to Chiyuki." He brought his glass to his mouth and drained it.
Chiyuki, he thought to himself, staring at the elevators that had taken her away. Someday, we'll meet again, and I will wait for you until that day comes.
Until then...He began his work on a new mannequin, one with black clothing, heels, and hair with just a hint of silvery-grey.