Twelve

I looked at Obito with a death glare while he seemed surprised to see me. Kakuzu stood in a defensive position in front of Sasuke and Itachi to protect them against Obito. I drew my sword and slashed my blade towards him to catch him off guard. It didn't work and he immediately countered with a blow from above that I barely managed to block. I glanced over and noticed that Itachi had started to wake up which relieved me. I sideswept Obito with my blade and caught him in his side but I didn't get to dig the blade deep enough to slow him down.

“Brother you're bleeding!” I looked over at Itachi and noticed his side was covered in blood. I looked back at the battle too late to block Obito’s blade and screamed out in pain as the blade tore through my right shoulder. My hands shook as I held my blade towards Obito and tried not to show the weakness I was feeling.

“Kakuzu, get them out of here while I finish off Obito.” My voice shook but he nodded with some concern on his face. Obito laughed at me and attempted to attack Kakuzu but I blocked his blade while he and Sasuke fled with Itachi.

“You don't seriously think you can defeat me do you?”

“I don't, not with this injury, but I will fight to protect my brothers and Kakuzu.” Obito laughed. I glanced behind him as I picked up the chakra of Kabuto in the trees. I pretended I didn't notice him as I focused on Obito and started making hand signs while pouring my chakra into my blade. My blade caught on fire much to the surprise of Obito and I slashed my blade towards him, a large swirling vortex of fire surrounded him as I walked through it and stood in front of him.

“The fire will slowly suck the oxygen out of us and kill us both. I designed this as a last resort that, unless you want to burn to death, you can't escape.” I watched the realization hit him.

“You'd die to protect them?” I nodded.

“You've spent so much time dwelling in hate Obito that you never thought about Kakashi or anyone that you left behind for that matter. Did you think people had forgotten you? Because they hadn't. Kakashi is reminded of your fate each time he sees that eye you gave him.” I gasped in pain as my lungs started tightening. Obito took off his mask and looked at me with what looked to be tears in his eyes. He walked over to me as I held my shoulder and dropped to my knees with fatigue.

“You're right, I am sorry Riku, for everything. I caused you more pain than I could've imagined and yet, you still want to help me. Why?” I looked up at him with a grimace of pain.

“I was the heir to the Uchiha clan, and it was and always will be my job to protect every Uchiha. Even you.” I lifted my blade and slashed through the vortex to cancel it and collapsed onto my side. Obito lifted me up as I looked up at him and smiled softly.

“No no no no, Riku!”

“Apologize to everyone, make sure they know who you really are, and promise me that no one will get their hands on my sharingan ever again.”

“No, please live...please Riku..” I looked up at the sky and smiled to the sun.

“Promise me…”

“I won't let you die!” I gasped as a sudden flow of chakra came rushing through my body. Obito was pushing all of his chakra into my body to keep me alive. I closed my eyes as he held me against his body.

--

No no no no…

I shook him to try to get him to open his eyes. He wasn't breathing anymore, I needed to get him to Kakuzu quickly if he is to survive. I lifted him into my arms as I stood up from the ground, I looked down at the sword and noticed it was a Uchiha heirloom that he must have been carrying when he was taken by Orochimaru. I bent down to pick it up and laid it across his body as I carried him into the woods towards the chakra signatures of his brothers. I felt the fleeing chakra of Kabuto as I carried him and made a mental note to kill him later. I approached Kakuzu who turned once he sensed my chakra nearing him. I placed Riku onto the floor of a small wooden home and placed my hand around Riku's throat, I summoned a small red choker around his throat and sealed it with my chakra and blood. I grabbed Kakuzu's hand placed it against the collar to allow him to remove it when the time should come and to protect him under the enchantment as well.

“What are you doing to him?” Kakuzu was certainly calmer than the others with his attitude.

“This collar is a protection enchantment. Once he is revived he will not be allowed to die until that collar is removed by myself or you. I've put you under the same protection so even if your hearts are removed you will not die until he does. Riku made me see things differently than the way I was, I thought that everyone was selfish and no one ever cared about each other but I was wrong. Ninja do deserve mercy and life. I'm just sorry I didn't see it before my blade tore through his shoulder. Take care of him Kakuzu.” I rose up from the ground and walked back into the woods and away from their home. Riku would survive another day because they need him and I need to see my friend.