Prologue

(A/N: ATTENTION: this is a sequel. Go read the first book or this won't make any sense.
Hello again, everyone! I was planning on a few days of break between the last book and this one, but this is seriously too much fun to stop! Again, my update schedule will probably be less regular than last time, but I'll get through this as quickly as I can. Also, I stayed in my comfort zone through the last story, but I'll really be challenging myself this time. So there will be like, angst and stuff. Have fun!)

Tad Strange watched you sleep.

He wasn't really there, of course, since the Weirdness Barrier wouldn't let him leave Reverse Falls, but the terms of your deal meant he could watch you wherever you were.

He watched as you stirred, frowning in your sleep, and peeked into your head, wondering what your dreams were about.

"MABEL NO! DON'T LEAVE ME HERE! MABEL!"

"Bill says Dipper's coming to kill us."

"I'd rather die than accept help from you, murderer!"

"Let me show you what happens when someone tries to take what's mine."

"You belong to me, Y/N. No one else."

"I d-don't deserve to ever be l-loved!"

"So... shall we talk about a deal?"

Strange chuckled, swiping his nonexistent hand through your head and dissipating your nightmare. "Spoilers," he muttered, changing the channel on your dreams until you were sleeping peacefully again.

Come morning, your little sister Jasmine pranced into your room, waking you up. "Y/N!" she squealed.

"What, what?" you asked groggily, grabbing a pillow and throwing it at her. "What could possibly be so important as to wake me up at..." you glanced at your clock, "11:30?"

Jasmine hopped on your bed, sending you flying. "Did you forget?"

You glared at her, not in the mood for guessing games. "Forget what?"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!" she squealed, throwing her arms around you.

"Wait, what?" you glanced at your clock again, which told you the date. "Whoa, it is my birthday! I totally forgot!"

"I know you've been more forgetful than usual lately, Y/N, but I didn't think you'd forget this! I reminded you last night and everything!" she yelled.

"Right, sorry. I think I was having a weird dream... about crossbows or something? I forget. Anyway, I'll meet you downstairs for cake, kay?" you shoved her off your bed and out of your room so you could get dressed.

You threw open your closet door, surveying your piles of fancy clothes with disdain. I hate being rich. Your entire wardrobe had been someone else's choice. You thumbed through your options, looking for something you hated less than the rest.

I really should move out. I hate it here. You paused, your fingers hesitating on a sequined top. Wasn't I going to move out? I was planning to leave here. I think Dad and I had a fight... I was going to hop on a bus... Why didn't I?

Wait... Did I?

You frowned, feeling you had something important on the tip of your tongue.

"Y/N!" your sister screamed from downstairs. "Cake!"

"Coming!" you shouted back, grabbing a top at random and heading out your door.

What was I thinking about? ...Whatever.

It probably wasn't important.