one

Lenny let out a puff of air upwards, blowing stray hairs away from her face as she continued to lounge on her bed, her sheets covering her bent legs as she listened to the pitter-patter of the rain dropping atop the roof. A rainy Saturday would usually be her ideal setting- dismal, but yet childish from the puddles she so desperately wanted to jump in.

Lenny leaned her head back against the headboard of her bed, hearing a soft 'clack' of her bones before returning her gaze to her bent legs. She would usually have been drawing, or doodling at the very least, but she had rammed head first into a creative block which had resulted in nothing productive. Lenny groaned and hit her head against her headboard in frustration. The sketchbook that was atop her sheet-covered legs was blank, save for some eraser shavings she was too lazy to dust off and a few strokes of graphite that vaguely look like the structure for a head. Sighing, Lenny forced herself to doodle some head shots of her characters in various empty spots, hoping it would spark some creativity to form. She decided to doodle the first thing to come to mind: Scout- the little furball of pure cuteness that was too precious for any world. As Lenny continued to sketch the maltipsi, she found herself wishing her child was actually real in the world for perhaps the millionth time she was created.

Deciding to grab a snack to help distract herself from the sadness that would inevitably form from the disappointing realization that Scout would never be real, she set her pencil and sketchbook aside before climbing out of bed. She walked down to the kitchen, her legs a bit sore from being cooped in her bed for a couple hours. Lenny opened the refrigerator, her eyes switching from potential snack to snack. She settled for a sandwich that had some lettuce poking out of the two slices of bread along with some slices of cold ham and unwrapped it from the Saran wrap, throwing the wrapping into the trash. She walked over to the couch that was closest to the front door as well as a few windows and lied down. She laid her head on the armrest and her feet propped on the apposed one, taking up the two seats of the couch from her position. She took the first bite of her sandwich, about to shift her body higher up the armrest to help the digestion, but before she could do so, her eyes widened and she bolted upright, spitting out the chewed chunk of food.

"Uck! What the hell?!" Lenny exclaimed, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. She walked to get a tissue and crouched, cleaning up her mess before walking to the trash can, chucking down the half-digested bite wrapped in tissue.

She took her sandwich and flipped it open, only to find something she absolutely hated with a fiery passion hotter than Eta Carinae.

Freaking. Tomatoes.

"Who in their right mind would put tomatoes in a perfectly good sandwich!" she exclaimed once again, cringing away from the slimy fruit. She took two fingers and plucked the tomatoes out of their cleverly hidden hiding spot and dumped them in the trash.

Once the deed had been done, Lenny walked back to the couch and sat on thr armrest closeet to the rain-stained window to overlook the gloomy setting. She took a bite of her now tomato-free sandwich as she began to take descriptive notes of the wet outside, mainly out of boredom, and took a bite after each observation.

Grass heavy with the raindrops that mercilessly beat atop their heads as they lowered closer to the moist ground.

Trees with leaves slick with rain and a trunk softened by the moist surroundings.

A girl whose head was covered with a drenched pink blanket, legs bent and pressed against her chest yet the blanket wasn't big enough to cover her blonde, paw-like feet that were peeking out from under her jea-

Lenny stuffed the rest of her sandwich in her mouth, pushed herself off the armrest and presded her face against the glass, her breath casting a later of foggy mist on it beforr quickly going away. Lenny didn't want to get her hopes up (even though they already were), but those paws had a shocking, uncanny resemblence to her beloved character, Scout.

Lenny forced herself to back off the window and quickly assured herself that they were probably shoes meant to look like a cat's paws before she barreled out of her home into the rain shouting "Scout" at the top of her lungs.

It would've been mortifying if the girl wasn't Scout and was someone she didn't know- or even worse, someone she did know. Plus, she would've been deemed crazy by the people who heard and were in the vicinity. Lenny sighed and rested her elbow on the windowsill, staring at the girl with a sad look of disappointment. About to head back upstairs to start doodling again and scroll through Wattpad some more, hoping it wouldn't be as quiet as before, she spotted the girl shift her head, the blanket falling off her head by accident and revealing...

Cat... ears...?

Abandoning all thought of heading upstairs, she pressed her face against the window once more, a smile growing across her face with excitement. Even though the girl had quickly replaced the blanket over her head again to avoid being rained on, Lenny was more than sure that the girl had four cat ears. She suppressed a small squeal and rushed to get a jacket on her. She was happy her parents weren't yet home since if it really was Scout and not some wierdo who was doing an impression of her to mortify her, she was pretty sure her parents would welcome the strange girl with arms as open as hers.

Flipping the hood up over her head to prevent being soaked in the rain, she twisted the doorknob and closed it behind her, quickly adjusting herself to the water that rain upon her head. Seeing the girl who was still crouched against the tree, she started to sprint towards her with a giddy feeling and a hand holding her hood in place as she ran.

After perhaps a minute or even less, she was close enough to her to realize the confirmation that this girl was truly, actually Scout which had only made her smile like an idiot as she stifled the urge to skip the rest of the way to her what she thought wad a fictional character of hers. Forcing herself to slow down so she didn't seem too ecastic and scare Scout away, Lenny crouched by her when she was about maybe a foot or less away, gently rubbing her shoulder for a couple seconds to get her attention. As she did, her feelings of happiness and disbelief were replaced with scared, anxioud thoughts. She quickly shoved those thoughts into the back of her head, snapping herself back to reality.

"Scout..?" Lenny inquired softly, an unsure look slowly coming over her face as Scout snapped her head up to look at the girl who had disturbed her bubble of lonliness. Lenny's breath hitched as she stared at her child, little details she had used to create her flooding back with memories like it was yesterday. Lenny smiled warmly, reassuring the maltipsi that she had nothing to fear, as well as reassuring herself that this was Scout- her Scout.

"W-Who you are?!" Scout exclaimed, cowering away in fear, tears welling up in her eyes.

Lenny could've sworn that she could hear the distinct sound of her heart breaking into a million pieces.

---

Was going to post art with this but I'm in Procrasti-Nation right now so if I wanted until the art came, this never would be posted

kreiigon