Letters

It had been two years since the Colonies declared independence

It had been two years since the Colonies declared independence. Since then, your Mother and Father relocated to England and you lived with your Aunt Edna and Uncle Otto in Philadelphia 

Green had joined the American Military in 1777 to fight for the colonies, and (unknown to you) to win your heart. He wrote to you regularly, and told you of great battles, the thrill of firing a musket, and the terrors of war. In his last letter, he wrote that he was marching to New York City to rout the British. 

You had been secretly taught to read by green when you were both younger. Green would write messages and have you read them to him. After you learned to read, he taught you to write. At first, you had Terrible handwriting, but then you got better at it. 

You sat at the desk in your Uncles study and began a letter.

Dearest Green,

I once again thank you for teaching me to read and write. It is truly a talent that I am most great full for.

I hope that you are doing well and wish you best luck in New York.

With all due Respect, 

(Full name)

You fold the letter, put it in an envelope, and stamp it using your uncles Bavarian Eagle stamp.

Your aunt and uncle were originally from Bavaria, with ancestry dating back to the Germanian Hordes of the days of the Roman Empire, while your fathers family had pure Roman blood, and had family ties to the Emperors Nero and Augustus.

You sigh at the hopeless romantic dream of being a maid to a rich family in Bavaria or being a housewife in Roman Britannia.

You then place the envelope under a pillow in your room and wait.

Camp Bradshaw, New York.

Green adjusted the bayonet on his musket as he sat in a camp in the upper region of New York State. He had been marching for days down from Saratoga, where there had been a big battle not long ago. 

He missed (name), and he knew what he would do when he got back. He would tell her the two truths; He loved her and was immortal.

A courier rode up to the campsite and soldiers went up to give or receive mail. Green asked if there was any mail from a (Full Name) for Gary Oak. 

There was. 

He took the letter, hands shaking with excitement and returned to where he had been sitting.

He opened it with his pocket knife.

He read it.

Dearest Green,

I once again thank you for teaching me to read and write. It is truly a talent that I am most great full for.

I hope that you are doing well and wish you best luck in New York.

With all due Respect,

(Full name)

He smiled and folded up the letter, placing it in his coat pocket.