Chapter 4: Rules

The next few days came as a blur to Jess.
Whenever he got into the car, he would always notice Bill tensing up, and their conversations would be shortened than usual.

Understanding why, Jess didn't decide to press on the matter and just acted normal. Even then he wouldn't hold Leslie's hand, or lean close to her because he thought that Bill would find discomfort in it.

But in school, things would go back to normal. Of course, he still respected their friendship and so he really didn't do anything that he thought would make things awkward. Leslie had made it clear to him that she still wanted to be seen as his best friend, but also his girlfriend. It was complicated, but Jess was satisfied enough with knowing that she was his, and he was hers.

They intended to keep their relationship as a secret from Jess's family and only tell them when things with the Burke's had settled, but they eventually had to come out during a Saturday afternoon when Leslie came over to the Aarons.

     After Jess had done his chores, he went to take a shower, leaving Joyce Ann and May Belle at the living room, watching the TV while their mother planted some new plants at the green house.

     There was a knock that came.

     Joyce Ann looked at May Belle blankly, expecting her to get the door. When she didn't, May Belle asked, rather dryly, "Aren't ya gonna get that?" She didn't even look at her.

Being mature, Joyce Ann sighed in defeat and opened the door instead. Leslie was standing at the entrance. She smiled when she saw the little girl. "Oh, hi!" She greeted her happily. Joyce Ann said nothing and just stared and stepped aside for her to come in. "Where's Jess?" Leslie asked her, looking around the room.

"He's upstairs." Leslie heard May Belle say. "Hey, May." She exclaimed and then patted Joyce Ann's head before going behind the couch where May Belle was. "Where's Dylan?"

May Belle sighed. "His parents grounded him for failing English."

"Why don't you help him study so that you guys can hang again?" Leslie suggested, ruffling the girl's brown hair before heading up the stairs.

     Leslie waltzed in Jess's room, only to find it empty and the blaring rock music of Aerosmith's - 'Walk This Way' playing. She settled herself comfortably on Jess's bed and lied on it as she waited for Jess. Who would have ever expected Jess to like this kind of music? Last time she suggested a rock song, which was when they were kids, he found it weird.

     When the door opened, she opened her eyes and sat up. "Hey, Jess, I was wondering if you could help me with our project--" she stopped. Her eyes went wide. Jess only had a towel wrapped around his waist. "Oh my-" she immediately turned around, grabbed his pillow and stuffed her face in it.

     "God, Leslie! Wh-what are you-" Jess turned bright pink. "J-Jess! Just put some clothes on!" Leslie frantically said, nearly screaming. Jess was already putting on clothes.

     After a few minutes . . .

     "Are you done?"

     "Uh... Yeah." Jess responded awkwardly as he dried his hair with the towel.

Leslie turned around and put the pillow down, her cheeks still slightly red. The image of Jess with his wet hair, water still dripping down his skin, and his bare stomach showing (he even had abs) ... Was still fresh in her mind.

     "So um," Leslie cleared her throat. "I was just wondering if you could help me with an art project." She said and flashed a smile.