Chapter 7

A/N New cover! Made by the brilliant peakybooo like seriously guys, go and give her some love, she's amazing ☺️

"You can't arrest me, you have no proof I did anything," Asher growled out, struggling against the handcuffs. He looked to his brother who shook his head and frowned. Aimee had taken Tori inside so that she didn't see her father arrested.

Asher knew he was guilty. He just didn't want to go to prison... Again. He couldn't go, especially with Tori in his life. 'Everything was looking up.' As he was pushed into the police car, he banged his head on the back of the seat in front of him. He was as guilty as they came but he knew it was right. Mark was an ass and not even considered a decent human being. Men who hit women are not considered human beings, in his books.

He was soon shoved into a cell and his cuffs undone. He sat down on the bench and banged his head against the wall. All he could think of was Tori. What would happen if he was sent down? He couldn't bare to leave her, especially not after she's lost her mum. He wasn't sure what was going to happen or how he was going to get out of it all. How could you? Especially if you were so guilty and you know you committed the crime.

No one came back for him and he ended up spending the night in the cell. His thoughts were all consumed about Tori. Would he make it out soon? Would he be there for her future? Would he watch her grow up? He couldn't answer them, not yet anyway. He was being questioned and he had to focus on getting himself out now rather than later.

"Look, I did it," he admitted, somewhat feeling stupid for doing so, "but I have a justified reason." The police officer in charge of the interview looked at him with a raised brow, finding it impossible to have a justified reason for beating someone up.

"Go on then."

"You see, I got this four-year-old daughter," he started off. He explained the whole situation from what happened to Juliet and her parents and how Tori managed to be in his care. He then went on to why he beat Mark up. The whole abuse that went on with Tori and Juliet. He was fuming as he spoke, having horrible images of Mark hitting Tori. He didn't know how it went down but his mind came up with the worst of the worse. "He hit my little girl and I saw red, he had to pay. I just... Something came over me and I had to do it... I felt as if I was a failure for not protecting her - but how could I if I didn't know she existed? I had to do something and maybe I shouldn't have resorted to violence." He glanced up at the police officer who seemed to have a softened face. "How long are you going to send me to jail for? I need to make arrangements for my little girl. I want to make sure she stays with my mum."

The police officer sighed. "You're not going to jail, Mr Cain. We understand your situation," he started, looking to the officer next to him, "and if this is about a domestic violence case that has not been filed... You can file one. We've got kids of our own, you see. Everyone here does, expect for the young ones. Abuse against a child is a serious case, it's just the matter of proving it. Unfortunately, it'll be almost impossible to prove he did kill the Harp family. However, he can be punished for what he has done to your daughter." Asher couldn't believe what he was hearing. He didn't realise they would actually let him go. He was sure they'd cart him off to jail, which is why he was prepared to do his time even if it meant time away from Tori.

"There's a woman, a family friend of theirs... She knew what was happening. That's how I knew the full story." He had failed to mention Mary in his story, feeling it irrelevant. But now? It was highly relevant.

"Bring her in for us, we need to have a chat with her. Rhodes, go and bring Mark in. We need to question him." The next few hours passed like a blur for Asher. He had called Mary to come to the station and he also watched as Mark was pulled into the station, making it out like he was here to identify Asher. The officers knew it was the easiest way to get Mark in, knowing he would probably have done a runner or fought them. He was shoved into a cell, much to his confusion. He then got angry because they wouldn't tell him anything.