The Paths We Take

The bell rang and I got up, slinging my bag over my shoulder. Kids filed through the rows of desks in a hurry to get out of the room, and I followed the stream.

I was out of the room and zipping up my bag before I heard Brody's angry cry of "Who took my book? Where the hell is Kaz?!"

I darted around the corner and hid myself into a bigger crowd before anyone could find me. I let the crowd carry me on down to the hallway my locker was located in, disentangling myself from them and heading over to my locker.

After putting in the combination, I pulled it open and dropped my bag to the floor, unzipping it. I looked at Brody's book, picking it up and examining it. It was some science fiction thing, which sounded horribly boring.

Having no use for it, I stood up and dropped it to the ground, kicking it down the hallway. I grabbed what I needed out of my locker and began to exchange my things.

"Kaz!"

The annoyed voice had me sighing. I straightened up and turned to face my best friend, Lily.

"You stole Brody's book, didn't you? He just cornered me about it," she said, placing her hands on her hips.

"I might've," I said, shrugging.

She shook her head and glared at me. "Kaz, seriously, everyone blames you when things go missing."

"Because it's usually me who takes them," I said, kicking my locker shut.

"Yea, well, you're going to get in big trouble one of these days." She looked across the hall and her mood sank even further. "Go on, go catch up with your new friends."

I looked over and saw four boys. One of them was currently being pinned against a locker by a very familiar face.

Some people said Aaron Kizziar was insane.

It wasn't hard to believe. Even now, he pressed the kid against the locker with unnecessary force, a grin on his face as sharp as his features, pale blond hair swinging in his face.

At first glance, Aaron didn't look like much. He was average height and average build. He wasn't overly muscular and he didn't walk around with a permanent glare or anything. In fact, most of the time he just walked with lazy posture and a smile.

But on closer inspection, you could tell that despite how lazy his posture looked, he was a snake coiled to strike. His smile was dangerous and challenging, everything about him a threat in disguise.

He stood now, a fully unveiled threat. His brother, Bruce, and their friend, Vic, stood and watched, waiting patiently for Aaron to finish with his victim.

I started to move towards him but Lily caught my arm. She yanked me back and placed her hands on her hips- her signature pissed-off move.

"Kaz, I was joking!" she snapped. "Don't really go off with them. They're bad for you and you know it."

"I'm just going to play hero and stop Aaron from killing that kid," I said dismissively.

"Stop acting like I'm stupid. I know you're just doing it to keep Aaron from getting into trouble," she said, but stepped aside.

The Paths We Take [boyxboy]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara