Chapter 13- Million Dollar Houses

I couldn't find the will to care today. I don't know why exactly. I'd gotten in the shower and actually spent time on my hair today and still I felt terrible. I put on one of the many shirts Luke made me buy and a pair of jeans. Maybe I was feeling this way because I couldn't sleep last night. I just laid there wishing someone was there to tell me bad jokes. I needed a good laugh. I don't know how long its been. Probably weeks.

Stepping out of my room, I went downstairs where Lizzie was sitting eating cereal. "Medicine," she muttered, pointing with her fork to the medicine cabinet. Sighing, I went over to take my many pills. All of those stupid vitamins were getting annoying. I just wanted the surgery so I could stop taking them all. I took out my antidepressants. It seemed there were a lot more missing than I remembered. "Lizzie, did you take my medicine?" I looked over at her. She was nodding idly. "About five. Someone asked." I glared. "You can't sell my prescription you fuck-tard. I want them back." She made a face. "I already sold them."

I was fuming at this point. Ever since it had become known that she sold drugs, she'd been a bitch. Its like she didn't care about anyone else as long as she was happy. I took my pills and went back upstairs to grab my bag. I could always wait outside. I didn't want to stay in here a find out about anything else of mine she might have sold.

I hoped Shane hadn't forgotten he was picking me up. I lived too far away to walk to school now. I could die before I reached the front doors. It felt like winter even though it was spring time. And I never wore coats because I never thought ahead. I let out a sigh of relief when his car pulled up to the curb. I walked down the lawn to his car, getting in before I could freeze to death.

"You got a hair cut?" Was the first thing he said. I nodded. "Yeah...is it stupid?" He smiled and shook his head. "No, not at all. I like it." I smiled at him. It wasn't a real smile. Only a cover-up because I really wanted to let out a sigh of relief because he liked my hair. Shane leaned over and kissed me lightly. "You seem sad," he muttered as he pulled out of the driveway. "when don't I seem sad?" I asked him. He was quiet for a while, thinking. "Would a date cheer you up?" He asked. I shook my head. "Where would we go? To a restaurant? The movies?" Shane sighed. "Fine since you're being Mr. Grumpy pants I'll bring you home after school."

"Court dates tomorrow." I mumbled. I sat back in my seat and turned to watch Shane as he drove. "Are you okay with that?" he questioned, his voice low. I loved the way his jaw moved when he talked. It was something I noticed I loved the first time we talked. "Of course not but I have to do it." We were almost at the school by now. I could see it in the distance. But I didn't want to leave this car. I didn't want to sit in class. I know graduation was coming up soon, but the time felt unbearable here. "You'll be okay, you know that." I closed my eyes as a tear escaped.

"I have to see her. See him. The two people that raised me. I look at them and I see why I'm so fucked up. Last time he even smiled when they made me talk about all the times my mom watched him hit me. They did it to me on purpose." Shane was frowning. "You're okay now." He offered. "I wish my mom wasn't like that. Because it would hurt a lot less to still love her." He parked his car and turned it off. "Hey, I'm sure a couple years in prison will do her some good. She's still your mom, even though she hurt you. Don't feel bad for still loving her. She carried you in her womb for 9 months she held you as a baby and you depended on her. I still love my mom. The good was in her somewhere. It just got buried in the evil." I smiled sadly at him. "You're so understanding. Why can't everyone be like you?" He shrugged and opened his door. "We wouldn't want you falling in love with everyone, now would we?" I smiled and got out of the car as he did. We walked side by side into the school to our first class.

I still fucking hated this place.

***

"Jay, do you want pizza for dinner?" Shane shouted, closing the damn near empty fridge. He was horrible at stocking up the kitchen. Even I could do better than that. Jay walked into the kitchen. "We had pizza last night. Go out a buy some food from the grocery store. What the hell is wrong with your generation?" Shane frowned. "You're only two years older than me, you fucker. Why don't you go to the store, I have company." Jay looked over at me. "Oh, what's up, Z-man." He was one of the first on my hate-list. Right under the man that raised me. "He doesn't like pet names. Not even baby." Jay gave me a questioning look.