3. The Carriages

(A/N) Hiiiii...? Anyone there....? Hopefully you haven't given up on me because I'm taking SO LONG TO UPDATE!!! Ugh maybe I need to start making shorter chapters... or, like, actually do the writing thing more often. Yeah. That would be good. Anyway, enjoy this chapter, lovelies :]

"My god, we're here already?" Ten said, incredulous. "I suppose time flies when you're in good company, though" he added, grinning at Rose.

The two had found it easy to converse about almost anything for hours as the train had taken them quickly through the countryside. Rose had discovered he was a lot like his brother, but... happier, somehow. And not quite as sassy. Still very sassy, but no one could match Chris' sassiness. Ten was also very talkative, making conversation all the easier. The funny thing was, he did a good deal of the talking, yet she still knew almost nothing about him. Meanwhile, he had managed to wheedle out of her things ranging from her favorite place to go flying, to her preferred way of taking tea, to her fear of crabs. "They're just so- I don't know- so dodgy looking!" She had exclaimed. "Like, really, you have beady little eyes and bloody massive claws? How could you not be terrified of them?"

Ten had laughed at her anecdotes, and joked along with her, but after the train halted along with their conversation, she realized the only thing she really knew about him was his name. And that he had a brother. But oddly, she still felt as though they were close friends already.

The pair stepped off the train into the afternoon sun, chatting and heading for the carriages that seemed to pull themselves. "Did you know," said Ten suddenly "That the carriages are actually pulled by thestrals, they're creatures that are invisible to all except those who have witnessed death." He looked pleased with himself.

"Well aren't you just full of fun facts?" Rose teased. She shuddered a bit. "My god, I spent years here and I never knew! It's a bit morbid, isn't it?" she said softly.

"They're really not too scary, they're quite intelligent, and... they can actually be... lovely to look at..." Ten said, trailing off. Rose barely got in an inquisitive look before he grabbed her arm and tugged her towards the carriages. "Allons-y, let's go, the good carriages will all get taken!" He cried. Rose laughed and followed him as he broke into a run.

They jumped on board a carriage just before two students made it on. "Hello! Join us!" Ten beamed. The students, both boys, looked at each other exasperatedly, obviously not wanting to share their carriage with professors, before clambering in anyway. "Hello, boys! I'm professor Tennant, but you can call me Ten for now, and this is professor Rose Tyler... You can call her... Oh, I don't know, ask her what she wants to be called by!" Ten said without missing a beat.

"Rose. Rose is fine," Rose grinned at the students. Hey, hang on, was that...? "Are you, by chance, one of the Winchesters?" She asked one of the boys, who was well-muscled and had sandy hair and freckles.

"Uh, yeah...?" The boy said, looking puzzled and a little alarmed. "How'd you..." Ten cut him off.

"Oh, you and your brother are big news around here! Two 'lost students,' and American as well! Of course, you aren't the first from overseas, but you certainly have the most interesting story." The boy looked a bit grumpy.

"'Interesting' is one word for it," he mumbled before turning to stare out the window in silence.

Rose didn't understand the boy's standoffish manner, but supposed he had the right to keep his story to himself, so she turned to the other boy.

"Hello, what's your name then?" She said cheerfully. "I am Castiel Novak. My... friend is Dean Winchester." His voice was deeper than she had expected, and his accent sounded pretty close to Dean's.