2

The train pulled into a station just outside the historical town of Gamcheon village. Jieun could smell the Gamcheon River [this does not actually exist, I created it so don't search it up on the web thinking it would appear okk hehe OK BACK TO STORY \^o^/]. Jieun's feet turned towards it. She longed to follow its winging curve and investigate both shores. She had heard that the river would bring her to one of the old houses of the Emperor. What a wondrous place it must be! World War II had not penetrated her sleepy little village, but even Jieun had heard the glorious takes of how the Kkangpae resisted the Japanese invaders. Jieun walked past buildings and wished she had time to explore the time, which was only a short distance from the bus terminal, but she did not know the location of her destination, nor how long it would take her to get there by bus. So, regretfully, she resisted the urge to walk around and, instead, headed straight for the bus station. There, she was directed to take a bus to the address she had copied down.

The bus pulled out of the busy urban centre and turned into broader avenues bordered by majestic angsana trees. There was less traffic here and the houses were bigger and further apart. She admired their noble peaked roofs and sweeping porches. Another hour on the bus and Jieun came to the imposing double-leafed gates of a mansion. She looked up at the stone lions guarding the fate and shivered. Instinct told her that people of her station did not go in through the front gate. So she walked around the wall and eventually came to a smaller corrugated zinc black gate. The scene here was in direct contrast to the isolated splendor of the front gate.

Here was the real hub of the house. A greengrocer stood at the open gate with his two-wheeled cart piled with lovely green vegetables. Leaning easily against the wall, he arranged tobacco dust on a thin piece of parchment with his work-roughened hands and rolled it delicately into a cigarette. Lounging next to him was another old man with mud-caked rubber boots. The man, who looked like the gardener of the house, held up a lit match for the greengrocer. The two men shared a joke and guffawed.

A woman with iron-grey hair plaited tightly into a rope and wearing a severe white blouse had black satin pants shoved unceremoniously past the gardener. "Lazing around again?" she snapped at him. He ignored her. Turning her glare on the greengrocer, she said, "Give me five bunches of your freshest spinach and don't push me any rotten leaves. Old master is dining in today. So, I get any complaints that the vegetables aren't fresh, you won't get any business from me anymore. You can be sure of that!"

Jieun faltered and the three turned to stare at her. The woman, who looked like the housekeeper, started and said, "Ah, you must be the new maid. Aigo, why did she send me a child? I must ask for a change. Never mind, come in first and get started in the kitchen. It's a mess."

She looked Jieun up and down [WEW EXID] with disfavor. Jieun suddenly felt very self-conscious about her worn dress and rubber slippers next to the housekeeper's immaculate white blouse and ironed pants.

"I'm the house keeper. You will call me 아줌마. We work for the Jeon Family," the woman said in rapid-fire sentences while Jieun struggled to keep up with her quick steps. "You can go back this afternoon after I speak to Hyejin [Hyejin sent Jieun here.] Meanwhile, can you scrub a porridge pot?"

"Oh yes," Jieun stammered hurriedly, thinking of the stubborn greased and ink spots that she had removed from the second-hand furniture that passed through her antique shop. "I am very good at scrubbing. "

Coming up to the house, Jieun gasped at its size. The sprawling mansion had two floors, with wide verandahs running the length of the building. There were also outbuildings and sheds on the vast property. They walked into a spotless and airy kitchen with a black and white flagged floor, a black brooding monster of a stove range and big wooden tables. Where was the mess Ajumma was talking about? The room was a palace compared to the homes in Jieun's village.

Jieun bowed to the other occupant of the kitchen, a woman who looked like a younger version of Ajumma, except she was wearing loose flowing navy blue pants instead of black satin ones.

"Nayeon, give her the porridge pot to scrub, and check that it's clean afterwards," Ajumma instructed.

Turning to Jieun, she grumbled, "You're too tiny. Are you sure you are any good at housework?"

"Oh yes," Jieun answered quickly. "I'm strong. I can sweep, mop, and I clean furniture very well. But I'm not so good at cooking as I only had to cook for Aunty Leong who owned the antique shop which I used to work at. "

"Wah, this child will talk our ears off," Ajumma interrupted. "Less chatter and get to work. "

The porridge pot had a thick layer of dried gunk at the bottom but Jieun attacked it with gusto.

"You'll see, I'll get this out sparkling," she sang out to Ajumma.

"I've never seen a person so happy about scrubbing," Ajumma told Nayeon sourly.

Nayeon smiled at Jieun. Jieun breathed a sigh of relief. She had dreaded coming to the Jeon residence and had no idea how she would get in. But, now, it looked like matters had been settled for her.

----------
OKAYZ SO ILL JUST SET SOME CHARACTERS CLEAR !
Ajumma's real name is Hayeon and yes she is the older sister to Nayeon but she prefer Jieun to call her Ajumma so...
Hyejin is just a person that helps people to find maids for their household
OKOIS SO I HOPE YALL ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER :))))