The Maid

January 21, 1922

I reached the farm just a few hours ago, and it is more than I could have possibly imagined. I knew as soon as I arrived that I had made the right choice. I was so uncertain about leaving the Thompson's home; I had been there for so long, but the allure of a better pay here at the Richards' Farmstead was too much to resist. The richards' have been very kind in our relations, and I expect that should continue which pleases me greatly. They've been very respectful and forthcoming with me about what I should expect working as a maid on their farm. That's not to say the Thompson family lacked any manner of generosity, but there were times where I often felt invisible. Mr. Richards and his wife treated me almost as if I were family the moment we met. "You're going to be living in our home and tending to our children," John Richards told me. Margery said, "It's only right we treat you as one of us." Though the pay increase is much appreciated, I must admit it was that sort of kinship Mr. and Mrs. Richards expressed that really brought me to their home.

It is absolutely beautiful here, even in the winter months. I was rather amused when the driver turned onto an almost invisible dirt path off the main road. I hadn't noticed it was there. It took me by surprise to see just how long the path was as it seemed to stretch for miles, but it was relaxing to see nothing but a canopy of leafless tree branches overhead, as dark as that may sound. Despite the cold, emptiness of the frozen woods, I found myself feeling tranquil at the sight of such peculiar beauty. Before I knew it, the surrounding woods had suddenly opened its embrace. The path cleared into a large, open field in a light white frost which glimmered in the morning sun. I could see several farmhands tending to their duties. The woods that tightly surrounded the vehicle as the driver brought us down the road now spread out and wrapped around the entire farm, creating some sort of barricade that hides it from the rest of the world. It is all truly amazing how it appears now in the winter; I cannot imagine how it must look in the warm months of summer. I would not say this is paradise by any means, but it is certainly a place that felt like home, and that is all I could have hoped for Mr. Richards has given me the day to get familiar with their home and its residents. Later on, I shall be acquainted with my duties and then I will meet the children. Tomorrow will be my first real day, and I am truly excited.

January 22, 1922

Today was my first day performing my duties around the Richards' farmstead. Since i'm not one of the farm hands, my work kept me within the confines of their home. Not that i'm complaining, I am no farmer by any means, nor would I want to be. Yesterday, Mr. Richards took me on a tour of his farmstead, and introduced me to all his employees. They were all very kind and appeared to be hard workers. I admire and appreciate their resolve and dedication. Aside from that, I also got to meet some of the more wild inhabitants. I've never had the opportunity to be up close and personal with animals such as these. The pigs and cows were rather bland, but horses always appear so majestic. 

Mrs. Richards also took the time to introduce me to her children. Timothy is seven and Charlotte is only three. They are both so adorable, what with their matching blonde hair and cute little smiles. Timothy was surprisingly caring of his baby sister; it was very sweet to watch him play with her. Though I don't believe i'll personally be spending much time with the children unless Mrs. Richards asked it of me, I will be happy to see their young faces each day. I love children, and these two seemed to be the sweetest.

Mostly, i'll be tidying up the household. It is rather large, but that keeps it all the more interesting. I've never minded cleaning, especially not a home such as this. Mrs. Richards keeps such a lovely home, I had half a mind to ask her why she decided to hire me in the first place. When I was just getting into contact with the Richards, I was told the old maid had to leave to take care of an ill relative, but that was months ago. Clearly, Mrs. Richards has been able to do just as well a job as anyone that could be paid to do it. Still, I won't be the one to judge, i'm thankful to have this employment. She has obviously worked hard to keep the house as nice as it, and i'll gladly be the one to make sure it stays that way. It is getting late, and i'm not quite used to this schedule just yet. It has started to snow, so I think i'll enjoy the view of the farm from my window before I go to bed.