Chapter 14: The Birthday

With this many girls in the competition - even after Jenna, Ashley, and Lydia had been eliminated after the first challenge - someone was bound to have their birthday sooner or later. And the lucky girl today - getting to celebrate in the Palace - was Kriss Ambers.

The celebration was to be held in the ballroom, and all week I'd been seeing all sorts of people - a camera crew, designers, party planners, cleaners - bustling in and out of there to prepare the space for Kriss's birthday. I guess birthday parties made for good television.

When I arrived early to the ballroom - only Kriss, of course, looking radiant, Celeste, who was drinking wine from a crystal goblet, and Marlee were there. All the work is seen happen throughout the week must have paid off, because it looked spectacular. Bronze curtains draped the windows, and the wallpaper was cream and gold damask. The marble floors were white and veined with gold, while the ceiling had been painted with intricate, delicate patterns in gold. The chandeliers had been lit, as had the sconces around the walls. It was a very festive and elegant look.

Kriss waved at me when I walked in with my violin, grinning. We weren't very close, but she seemed nice. Nicer than Celeste at least, but then again that wasn't very hard.

"Hi, America," she said brightly. "I'm so glad you came!"

I guess if my birthday party had been paid for and was on TV, I'd be smiling that wide too.

"Happy birthday, Kriss! It looks amazing in here," I said, hiding my violin behind my back when I noticed a quartet in the corner of the room, playing slowly and rendering my gift useless.

"Thanks." Then she turned towards the door. "Oh, hi, Tuesday!"

She excused herself and went to greet the other girls; Kriss was a very gracious host.

As I went to go back to my room, hoping to replace the violin before anybody noticed, someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned, startled, to see Maxon, wearing a camera and a smile. "America."

"Hi, Maxon." I smiled, wishing I could just return the violin in peace.

"How are you?" He was terribly polite, I'd give him that, but that made it worse as I was inching towards the exit.

"I'm fine, thank you. And you?"

"Is that a violin?"

"No, it's a very small guitar," I answered, before practically running out the door.

"America!" He called after me. I heard the sound of footsteps behind me and wondered, absurdly, if this was how Cinderella had felt running out of the ball.

"I just... have something to do!" I called back, hoping he'd take the hint.

Apparently he didn't, because when I got to my room, out of breath and probably red-faced from all the stairs, he was right behind me.

"Oh, hey, Maxon." I managed to pant out. "What are you doing here?"

"You left your violin." He held it out, a smile playing on his lips.

At least it's not my shoe.

"Uh...thanks." I took it from him, tension palpable in the small vestibule. "You can go now."

"Why'd you leave?" He asked, concern written on his features.

"I... had to get something," I lied.

"Oh, all right. Shall we go down together?" He offered me his arm, and I took it.

In the awkwardness, I realized I'd forgotten my violin when I got back to the ballroom.

Damn it.